DIY Decorative Bee Skep

$25

A friend sent me a picture of one of these bee hives or bee skeps and I knew I wanted to try making one!

Easter eggs! Giant, oversized Easter eggs! The ‘top’ half of the egg would be the perfect shape to make a bee skep! 

Using jute rope, wrap it around the base of the top half of the egg and start it as shown and begin using hot glue to attach the top part of the rope to the rope beneath it. 

Continue to wrap the rope around the egg and continue gluing the rope. You will use the glue on the top of the rope and push the top layer of the rope down hard to secure the ropes tightly. You can see above where the glue is to go. Do NOT gluing the rope to the egg, you are just gluing the rope to itself. 

When you get to the top, your skep will be looking like this as shown above.

You should be able to slide the egg out of your skep at this point. Your skep will be stiff and hold its shape now. 

You can finish the top of your skep as shown. You may leave a hole to suspend your skep from a rope, or close it in.

Use acrylic paint to paint a circle to look like the hole on your skep for your bees to enter. 

Cut a short piece of the same jute rope you use to fashion your skep.

Glue that piece of rope into a circle as shown above. 

Glue that circle onto the skep around the black circle you have painted onto your skep.  

I found these adorable bee lights on Amazon! They are so fun, and come with a remote control so you can hide the battery pack under your skep.

Decorate your bee skeps with fun bee themed ribbons and little bees! For more photos, and details, check out my blog post: http://celebrateanddecorate.com/how-to-make-a-bee-skep-decoration/

Chloe Crabtree

• Patti

Skep? I never heard that word before, ever!! Looks like a bee hive to me and it’s adorable!!! Thank you for sharing!

• Patti

I should have said I looked it up! I appreciate that you took the time to share with me. I learn a lot from this site. It’s simply adorable no matter it is and I love it! 😍🥰🙌😘

• Barbara

How many feet of the jute rope do you need and where would I purchase the jute

• Chloe Crabtree

Hi Barbara! This is the jute rope I would get: https://amzn.to/349jbhH

One of those should be enough and you can get it delivered from Amazon in just 3 days. I am sorry I can't tell you how much I used, I was using scrap rope from a previous project. Good luck and have fun!

• Robyn Garner

I'm curious about 2 things: first, if one cut the hole out of the rope would bees actually use this skep? Second, does this rope creation (if using gorilla hot glue) hope up to living outdoors? Thanks! 😎