How To Upholster A Footstool With A Tea Towel

$5

I finally got around to clearing out some of my kitchen drawers when I came across a stash of souvenir tea towels I had collected over the years. Some were from a favorite vacation and others had been gifted to me. I decided to take one of the tea towels of my favorite city and use it to upholster a footstool. I had made a denim footstool from an old crate before but as we fight over this as a family I thought another footstool would be handy.

The tea towel I picked from my stash was one that had a map of Brighton on it. Brighton in the UK is one of my favorite cities and I try to visit at least 3-4 times a year.

Also, I have a thing about maps and if you visit my site you will find lots of maps upcycles and furniture DIYs.

I had found an old footstool that was in desperate need for a revamp.

First thing to do is to remove the upholstered seat pad from the base of the footstool. Often this just involves removing a few screws.

The base of the footstool was looking a bit worse for wear so I gave it a coat of chalk paint in graphite.

The tea towel was quiet a bit bigger than the footstool pad. So I laid the tea towel on the top of the pad and arranged it to show the bits of the tea towel pattern I wanted visible.

Next, turn the seat pad over and use an electric staple gun to fix the tea towel to the base.

I started by stapling the sides of the footstool. Make sure you pull the tea towel taught.

Tuck and fold the corners in (like hospital corners on a bed) then staple them in place.

I didn't trim the tea towel so had quiet a big overhang underside. I just made sure it was stapled to base so it didn't hang down.

All that is left to do is to screw the newly covered seat pad onto the footstool base.

I love how the footstool turned out. The map goes really well with the other map furniture in my home like my IKEA Map lamp hack.

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Charlene

What kind of staples and gun did you use for this project. Ty

• Lynn

I’ve been looking and looking for a nice but not big electric stapler for a long time. Can you give me the model number on your model? It’s not on Aldis or Hime Depot sites

• Melinda Brown Inglesby

I have a similar footstool base that a neighbor was getting rid of- but it's just the base, and it's metal. This idea is perfect for it. But how would I make and attach the cushion part?

• Jane

Not knowing exactly the type or style of the framing of the stool makes it a bit difficult to give a specific answer. Though Lisa has a good idea in using a pice of plywood for the base and padding and stapling the cover overall. If it’s metal you might be able to attach the wood top to the frame by using screws. That’s how I’d approach it. Good luck and post if you do it. I’d love to see it.