Indoor Hopscotch From Cheap Rugs

$0

Like many others around the world right now, I am trying to find ways to keep my children occupied at home. One solution I came up with is an indoor hopscotch. Rather than putting masking tape on the floor, I wanted something a little more permanent that could be put away or brought back out quickly.

Supplies:

-I used 3 rugs I already had from Dollar Tree, but you could use worn out rugs, a sheet, or even cardboard.

-stencils, printed numbers you cut out, or you can free-hand

-paint (I used mostly spray paint that I had at home, and a few acrylics to add more colors)

Not pictured:

-tape (masking and duct tape)

-scissors

-paint brush or sponge if using acrylic paint

-newspaper or cardboard for paint protection

Prep

Lay out your numbers and decide how you want your hopscotch to look. I went with a simple hopscotch design and went up to 12 with an “end”.

I started by measuring the sections to tape off the squares, but started eyeballing it as I went along. It helps to lay out your numbers on each square as you go so you tape off the correct areas.

Plan out your colors so repeat colors aren’t next to each other.

Painting

When everything is taped, it is time to paint. I used newspaper held down by wood scraps to protect other areas from overspray.

For the acrylic paint areas, I squirted some paint on the rug and then spread it out with a sponge brush. I definitely recommend the spray paint method it you have it, because the texture of the rug made it hard to get the acrylic paint even.

After each section is painted you can remove the tape and wait for it to dry.

Cut out your homemade stencils if you need to make your own

Paint the numbers

Center your numbers inside your squares and block surrounding areas from overspray. Paint your numbers using a stand-out color, like white.

Finishing

When everything is dry, tape your sections together if you need to.

After being taped, my rugs still fold up for storage, but the tape will help keep the hopscotch from separating during play.

Lay the hopscotch out and have some fun! After my kids each ran through it several times, we started coming up with fun rules and moves they had to do on certain numbers or colors.

• Pol

Yeah, and when you are not supposed to shop for non-essentials, how do you get all the needed items??

• Carol

You check for what you have in your garage and you use your imagination. Simple! Maybe you end up with something different and share it with us.

• Liz

Sorry my last comment was a mile long lmao. Stay safe everyone!! And thanks again for such an awesome and creative indoor idea :)

-Liz

• Ruby Mora

Thanks for the idea. I have my grandsons (7 and 4) during this, So my daughter who lives in the city can still work. They are starting to go a little stir crazy and I think this will be a good coordination training for them while burning off some of that stored energy.

• Ruby Mora

Plus. I know I have everything I'd need right here.