Asked 8 days ago

How to restore window blinds?

CindyKmdreamerBetsy
+6

Hey,

We have a set of custom window blinds in our living room. Last day my son was playing with blinds like keeping them closing and open. I don't know what happened, when I went to make them close the rod that rotates them seems to have become stiffer, with some "humps" that were not there before. I tried as much as I can but I wasn't able to keep them completely close. Moreover, I'm scared to try forcing them to close because that might break the mechanism. This blind is almost twenty years old. Do they simply reach the end of their life cycle? Is there anything I can do to restore them to their previous non-problematic functionality? Does anyone here can help me find out a solution? If so, it would be a great help to me.

• Pat

I do not have horizontal blinds but, my vertical blinds are about that old and worry about them also. Assuming you have horizontal blind, so when you use the rod that rotates, check to see if one or two of the slats are catching on each other. With my vertical blinds, I have had that happen and have to reach up and straighten them out. Hope this helps. Also check where your rod attaches at the top....string could be twisted.

• Nan W.

Hi! I think 20 years from a set a blinds is admirable for them! Maybe this will help diagnose and then you can fix the problem:

https://fixmyblinds.com/collections/identify-your-blind

• Morgan McBride

Are they metal? Those won't bend back.

• Mogie

After 20 years it might be time for a new window treatment. But like Morgan said when metal slats bend out of shape you can't get them back they way they were. At least no perfectly. I ditched my old blinds a few years ago and went to curtains. They look so much nicer and to clean them I just take them down and toss them in the clothes washer. Amazon.com has a HUGE amount to choose from and the prices are great too. Rad the customer reviews first that has helped me a lot in the past.

Either a gear got stripped or out of alignment causing the tightness and humps. You check the mechanism and see what is off or just replace the blinds

• Cheryl A

the little pieces on the inside that open and close the blinds break, wear out and you have to replace them ~ here is some info for youhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgYKHPfUL_0

Hi CLemin: Could be that your tyke just turned the rod too much. See if you can turn it in the opposite direction. Also, check to see if the strings are twisted or the slats are caught on something. Hope this helps. Good luck

• Kmdreamer

New. Pro lash twisted it to many times try turning one way if it’s tight go the other way see if it loosens up

• Cindy

Sometimes the wands can work their way off of the hook that it usually rests in. Take a look up to make sure the tip of the wand is still inside the hook.