Asked on Mar 26, 2020

How would you refinish this?

Lifestyles HomesAgnes ChrzanowskaCristine Schwartzberg
+20

Keeping this but want to update it. Obviously everyone has different tastes, and mine are more modern. Ideas?

William

So many ideas from other Hometalkers

https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=paint%20dresser

• Gk
    Gk

Hello! The thing that makes this desk look less than modern is the hardware and the scalloped board on the bottom. This is a good project for chalk paint. There are some wonderful metallic chalk paints out there that could make this look more modern industrial if that is your style. Or you could sand the drawers, stain them and just paint the body. Pinterest has some ideas if you want to browse there for inspiration! I think a dark charcoal gray with stained drawers and some different modern hardware would look great! Here's a picture and a Hometalk link!

https://www.hometalk.com/19752815/a-desk-painted-with-metallic-effects

• Seb
      Seb

I would leave it be. Why would anyone want to damage it with unsightly chalk paint or paint. Painting natural wood is an injustice to the trees that die to provide us with wood. That's why the make cheap melamine furniture.

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

I would paint it in gray or blue which is a modern color and change out the handles right now it is an early American style- (I grew it with a house full of it and hated it lol) but it is quality furniture and easy to restyle to your taste!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/101190322852902922/

• Lara Lee
    Lara Lee

Nice to change out the hardware to a modern nickel style

• Chloe Crabtree
    Chloe Crabtree

I would remove the hardware, sand this piece well (remove the drawers to sand) Use a tack cloth to remove all of the dust and then you can either stain this or paint it with your choice of color.

• Nan W.
    Nan W.

HI! What a pretty piece of furniture! The hardware does need to be changed... maybe a brushed nickel? ...and then go crazy with the color! ...it's just paint and you'll only need a quart.

• DesertRose
    DesertRose

Hey, that looks like a fun project. I would chalk paint it. Have you ever done chalk painting? As long as it has been cleaned, you do not have to sand it before chalk painting. You would want to finish it with a permanent sealant after. Ask the paint store where you get the chalk paint, but I use a type of urethane to seal mine. Hope this helps. They do have urethanes now that do not yellow with age. Let us see the final project!

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Here's a nightstand close to that style. I roughed with steel wool, wiped with denatured alcohol, primed and painted with RustOleum Metallics paint, brush on. The pulls same process but sprayed with silver hammered paint. That was 3 years ago. Still looks great.

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride

Paint and change out the pulls. Straight pulls would look great. see how I did a modern dresser upcycle here - https://www.charlestoncrafted.com/ikea-hemnes-dresser-mid-century-modern-hack/

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

A coat of paint and new hardware will give you a whole new look.

• Kmdreamer
    Kmdreamer

I would take off all hardwear then lightly sand off varnish then paint it with a gray or blue milk paint give it 2 coats of paint.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom
    Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

I love this. Here are some great posts on modern dressers/makeovers from Hometalkers. Scroll through and see if something inspires you:

https://www.hometalk.com/search/all?filter=modern%20dresser

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hi,

Remove handles and save for Antique job or sell them! Replace with minimal style.

Paint front of drawer internal face same colour as you do carcase, leaving drawer frame as isor in a contrast or toning colour.

• It could look nice with some chalk paint and new hardware.

• Cristine Schwartzberg
    Cristine Schwartzberg

remove the hardwire and stain it with a color--deep blue, racing green, and a brick red and add streamlined pulls in a weathered finish.

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska

I see that pice in dark navy or black color with a different set of hardware

• Lifestyles Homes
    Lifestyles Homes

Change hardware, take a belt sander and totally remove the scroll work from between the legs (flip it upside down and use a 60 grit at first and finish with a 100 grit)

and I can't tell what's going on with the rails on the top? I'd remove them if possible.

Then paint as desired.