DIY Nursery Art/Wall Decor

$10

I had a baby! That means DIY baby projects! As with many baby rooms, we went with pastels. The "theme": animals. With this in mind I set off to find some cheap frames that I could paint to fit the colors and fill with animals. After thrifting a handful of different frames and finding the perfect package of wall decals at IKEA, I was ready to start the first piece of my nursery art. I had also been given a small house-shaped display shelf that I wanted to paint to match the colors in the nursery.

Thrifting Frames

I picked up a handful of different styles of frames. I wanted a variety of different shapes and sizes and I found a great collection.

Animal Prints

I wasn't exactly sure what animal prints I was going to put in those frames, but as I walked around the IKEA As-Is section, I found these animal wall decalls for $1! Perfect. (You could also simply print some cute designs off the internet for an even cheaper project).

Paint

After thoroughly cleaning all of the frames, I gave them a couple coats of paint. All of the paints I used on the frames were either from old projects or I found them in the mis-tinted paint section at hardware stores. I went with all light colors to keep a calming look in the baby room.

Background

I wanted a simple background for my colorful animal decals. I got a piece of white poster board, traced the size of each frame, and then cut out a background. The decals were easy enough to just stick in place. They did have a clear border which showed some air bubbles, so I just had to make sure and spend some time really smoothing out the edges to give it a seamless look.

Hang the Frames

It isn't exactly a gallery wall and it isn't exactly a straight line. I kind of staggered the frames along one wall and I think they all look great together. I didn't want to overload this wall with a whole lot of images because the adjacent wall has a large mural of animals riding in hot air balloons. Since that wall is the main feature, I kept this wall fairly simple.

Extra Wall Decor

I had this small, white, house-shaped display shelf that I wanted to use on the closet wall of the nursery. After wiping it down well, I gave the whole thing a couple coats of Rustoleum Chalked Paint in Aged Gray (the same color I used on the crib and changing table). Then I added all of the pastel colors I used on the frames to tie everything together.

Before and After

Here's a before and after of the small display shelf.

Hang the Shelf

I hung this shelf on the outside of the closet wall in the nursery and filled it with her adorable baby shoes and a few of her stuffed animal friends.

Final Looks

And here are the final looks of the nursery art and wall décor.

1 comment