Refinishing a Dining Table With Stain Finishing Oil and Fusion Mineral

$50

This dining table with 3 leaves is a fabulous shape with many seating options but was in dire need of a makeover. Follow along to see is complete change up.To see more unique makeovers head over to my blog for more free home decor and furniture tutorials.

Before

Here is the dining table top, the 3 center leaves show the original super shiny cherry finish.

PLEASE NOTE - the square legs shown above are the work table I have the table top sitting on to refinish.. they are NOT the dining tables french provincial legs. You can see the legs being added and painted a few photos below.

Strip the finish off

I used a paint stripper to remove the finish. There are videos showing this process on the more detailed tutorial blog post linked at the bottom for a better visual.

Sand top smooth

Then using my Dewalt orbital sander, I sanded the top down smooth using 120 grit sand paper. Take your time on this step.

Paint the base

The table legs and apron were painted in Fusion Mineral Paint's Algonquin; a soft taupe color that pairs nicely with the rich chocolatey cappuccino of the top. Two coats were brushed on using Fusion's 2" angled brush.

These are the original dining table legs, you can see the work table that the piece is sitting on in my work shop.

Stain the top

The top was stained using Fusion Mineral Paint's Stain & Finishing Oil in cappuccino. I love this product and color!!2 coats of cappuccino color then 2 coats natural color. Each coat needs to dry before the next is applied. Between each coat I lightly sponge sanded.

Smallest table size

This is the finished table in its smallest size; a square.

Largest table size

And this is the largest with all 3 leaves added.Here is my refinished dining tables tutorial search if you want to see more tables.

Creative Moments

• Karen

Was the table top veneer or solid wood?

• Cinlu

How did you patch spots in veneer to come out with such a smooth finish? Looks Fantastic!

• Jo

There’s 2 tables... you started with a coffee table and ended with a taller table... ?

• Ellen

The blue table in the first picture is not the subject of this post. It's just sitting in her workshop. She took the top of the table off and set in in another table; that's in the foreground of the first photo.