Asked on Mar 29, 2020

Redo dresser ?

Becky at Flipping the FlipCarol f englerBetsy
+12

I have a dresser that has at least 3 coats of paint on it. Would like to redo it and afraid to paint it again. What could I do? Thanks in advance and everyone stay well.

• Mogie

Of the countless chemical paint strippers on the market today CitriStrip is one of my favorites for a few reasons:

1. It’s bio-degradable
    2. No neutralizing needed
    3. No-harsh fumes (pleasant citrus odor)
    4. Very effective
    5. Non-caustic (no methylene chloride!)

Like all non-castic chemical strippers it doesn’t work quite as fast as the really dangerous stuff so learning some tips about how to use CitriStrip effectively can make the process much easier.

CitriStrip can be used effectively to remove multiple layers of latex paint, oil-based paint, varnish, lacquer, enamel, polyurethane, shellac, acrylics, and epoxy from wood, metal, and masonry surfaces. Other than cured glues there is very little you can’t get off with CitriStrip.

• Lindsay Aratari

You could use Citristrip to take off some paint layers then paint it the color you’d want

• I agree. Citristrip is the best. I've used it many times and on multiple layers of paint. Be advised, it may take a few treatments of Citristrip to remove all layer of paint.

• Gk

Citristrip does work well! Be patient with it! Some people apply it and then cover it with plastic wrap so it can stay moist for longer and work better. I like to use it to get most of the paint off of items and then use a more traditional stripper and steel wool to get down to wood and clean off all the Citristrip gunk.

https://repurposeandupcycle.com/how-to-strip-furniture-the-easy-way-3

www.citristrip.com/projects/paint-stripping-basics

• Tinyshoes

Peggy...l too love Citristrup and believe it will clean well for you to repaint..enjoy & good luck

• Peggy Burnette

Thank you

Hi P:eggy: I'm in agreement with the CitriStrip. I have used it for years. If you can't get to the project after putting on the CitriStrip, you can cover it with plastic wrap for about a day. Also, when you are scraping off the old paint, use a plastic, not metal, putty knife so you don't gouge the wood. It will be a bit softer than usual. Good luck

• Carol f engler

I would sand it down the origional surface. then paint it

• You can strip the paint off either with a chemical or a sander then go from there depending on the condition of the dresser.