Easy Tufted Ottoman Cover

$5

We've had this red ottoman for about 5 years and it's made it's way around the house. I finally got around to making a cover for it and I love how it turned out. I was able to repurpose one of my daughters old comforters into the cover and had everything I needed for this project already at home.

I used an old comforter for this project. You want to use something thick, with padding inside otherwise you won’t get the full, tufted look. I wrapped the comforter around the ottoman and trimmed the top off. You’ll want about 4″ of extra fabric when wrapped around the ottoman. You also want to cut a piece of fabric to fit on the top of the ottoman. 

I lined up the ends of the comforter (right-side in) and glued them together. Then I turned it right-side out and started stitching along both sides of the piece just glued together with embroidery floss.

I placed the cover around the ottoman and drew lines on the corners. Then I pulled the cover off, added glue along the line and pinched the comforter together. Folding the fabric in like this gives you that extra padding for a nice tufted look.

Stitch along all four sides.

Place the cover (right-side out) on the ottoman. Add the top piece.

Tuck the edges and corners of the top piece under and glue to the sides.

Pull the ottoman off and stitch all the way around, just like you did to the sides.

I wanted a little more color, so I randomly added stitching on the cover.

Place the cover back on the ottoman and you are good to go!

Holly Lengner - Lost Mom