Asked on Mar 30, 2020

How to save a rug pad

Carrie @ Curly Crafty MomAgnes ChrzanowskaLifestyles Homes
+12

Hi I need to know if there is a way to save a heavy felt rug pad, when we moved & the pad was in & the rug over it the pad was never stranghened out smooth so that left ridges in the pad so after a year it was driving me crazy, I pulled up the rug & took out the pad, & put it flat in a spare room until I can figure out a way to fix it,& I'm sure you will have some ideas how to do this I have always had good results from your responses

• Beth

Have you tried wetting it, putting weights on it, and letting it dry to see if that helps flatten it out again?

There are also steamers that carpet-layers use to help relax and smooth out carpet before installing it, so that might be something to look into renting if water doesn't help.

• GrandmasHouseDIY

I agree with the idea of wetting it, might be possible to throw it in your washing machine on a hot setting and than laying it out to dry flat.

• Gk

I would try the steam cleaner but move the pad to an area where the floor underneath won't be damaged by the steam.

• Nan W.

Ann: carpet tape may work under the "ridges"

• I recently steamed my couch and the fibers fluffed up. I was amazing. Perhaps you could try that and see if it works.

Most padding under carpets are compressed shredded foam. It's just stapled in place and stretched if needed. The felt pad you have should have been stretched when it was put down just like stretching a carpet. Then the carpet is installed. Since you removed it and have access to it. Lay a board over one long edge and nail/screw the board down going thru the board and pad. Then on the other end stretch the pad and lay a board over the edge and screw that down. Then to the same to the two other sides. Use a spray bottle with warm water and dampen the where the ridges are or were. let is sit for a day or two then remove three of the boards and see if it lays flat or flatter. Repeat of necessary.

• Johnavallance82

Hello Ann,

I would just try Steam Ironing it over a piece of Brown Paper. Let it completely dry and then fic it down gain using double sided tape or Spray adhesive. Best wishes.

• Sharon

I agree with John, I would steam it with a steamer. I would put a tarp or plastic underneath - if the wrinkles are really set, you might have to weight down the stubborn wrinkles possibly with bottles filled with water. And allow to dry fully. You could put a fan on it to dry it more quickly.

• Ann Halsing

Thank You to all who answered my question, 'm going to try a couple of them until I find one that works. Ann H

• Kmdreamer

Try spray bottle in areas with bunches and place heavy items on it till dry you could try ironing it to

• Lindsay Aratari

I would try steaming it

• Lifestyles Homes

Yes, heat and humidity. I would not get it truly wet.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

steam for sure will help with that

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I would try stretching it out and maybe anchor it down. Perhaps steaming or ironing it if you can.