DIY TV Cover

$200

Happy day, Fiddle Leaf Friends! This week I am sharing one of my favorite DIYs to date – this easy DIY TV cover! I have wanted to cover the TV in our master for quite some time, but the project kept getting put off. Now that it is finally done, I’m kicking myself that I didn’t do it sooner! You can always head to my BLOG for more projects like this too!I am going to make a few recommendations to you throughout this tutorial RE: changes I would make if I did this again – things like how I would hang it, materials I would use instead, etc. So let’s get started!

Prepare your space and materials

Step 1: First, measure your TV. 

Your TV size will determine all of your other measurements – wood, picture frames, and drawer slides. Keep this in mind – I used 8″ deep wood because our TV is mounted on an arm that pulls out, so the total depth of the TV plus the arm is about 7″. 

If you don’t have that arm and/or your TV is mounted very close to your wall, you can adjust your wood depth to something more suitable for your space (as well as the large L bracket size). Heck, if you have one of those fancy flat mount TVs, you may not even need the side pieces you see on ours!I also suggest leaving at least 2″ of space all around the TV. So if your TV measures 40″ wide, add 4″ – 2″ for each side. And if your TV is 25″ high, add another 4″, for a total of 29″ – these measurements will help you figure out your picture frame size.

Our frames are 20×24, but with the 1.25″ frame, each measures 22.5″x25.5″. You may have to adjust you wood lengths based on your picture frames, given standard frame sizing. 

You can also search chunkier frames (i.e the frame itself is 2″ thick) to add extra space if needed. Just play around with the measurements until they work for your space.

(THERE ARE MORE DETAILS ABOUT MEASUREMENTS ON MY BLOG IN THE WHAT YOU'LL NEED SECTION)

Step 2: Gather all the materials you see above, according to your own personal measurements.

Cut your wood to length

Using your miter saw, cut your 2″x8″ wood to length. Measure the total depth of your picture frames, and subtract the exact depth of your 2″x8″ (usually it’s actually about 1.75″). Cut your 1″x8″ side pieces to this length. Stain everything with your favorite wood stain and an old rag.

(NOTE: Here you can see my side pieces on the right, and my main top piece in the middle. There are screws in the top piece because I screwed two 1″x8″ boards together instead of using a 2″x8″ board. However, I HIGHLY suggest the 2″x8″ for a stronger installation! (The wood fill is just from old holes that my wood had in it – ignore them!))

Add drawer slides to boards

Mark the middle of your 2″x8″. Following the instructions included with your drawer slides, install the cabinet portion of the slide (what you would normally screw into your cabinet, NOT on the drawer). Be sure you install the top of the slide flush with the top of your piece of wood.

Install other side of drawer slides on frames

Install the drawer portion of the slide onto your frame, making sure that it’s screwed in so that the end that first slides onto the cabinet portion of the slide is ALL the way to the very edge of your frame. Just like they say “measure twice, cut once,” you’re going to want to think twice and screw once here. Make sure that you are installing each piece of the slide correctly so that your frames will slide on and will be able to slide all the way to the center or your 2″x8″ once hung up over your TV!

Hang your french cleat

Mark the middle of your TV on the wall, approximately 1.75″ above the top of your TV. This is where you want to install the mid-point of the top of your french cleat. If you can, screw your french cleat into studs with your 4″ wood screws. If there are no studs, use drywall wall anchors or toggles. Install the corresponding portion of your french cleat to the back of your 2″x8″ piece of wood, as close to the top as possible. (Note: usually french cleats come with their own instructions, so follow those for this portion of the project!) Make sure you install everything using a level!

Hang large L brackets

Once hung, if you need extra support, install your large L brackets under your 2″x8″ and into the wall. You’ll see below that we ONLY used L brackets for support – I don’t recommend this. The french cleat will give you much needed support, and you may not even need the L brackets!

Add side pieces

Install your side piece 1″x8″s by butting them up underneath the edge of your 2″x8″.

Using your small L brackets, attach the two pieces of wood together in the corner with your shorter wood screws. You can also add 2-3 small L brackets where the wall and each side piece meet. They will be on the inside of your TV box, so no one will see them!

(NOTE: You could always build the entire box before installation, and use a kreg jig to hide your screws. However, I know our walls are not completely flat, so I didn’t want to risk having a fully flat box ready to be installed, only for it to go on a crooked wall. Being able to adjust the wood and add shims where needed was necessary in our very builder grade, not level anywhere home!)

Add art and slide frames on

Add your art and slide your frames onto the slides, and there you have it! Your DIY TV cover is complete! 

The best part is that you can swap out the art seasonally to add some extra flair to your space!

(PRO TIP: You may find that you need some extra space between the bottom of your frame and the side piece. Our frames tended to hang in towards the wall. So we just removed the small rubber piece on the inside of each drawer slide (which you will want to do anyway to make your frames completely touch in the center) and screwed it into the very bottom front face of each side piece. That way, it sits in between the side piece 1″x8″ and the frame, pushing the frame out slightly. It worked perfectly and we were able to repurpose the rubber pieces we otherwise would have thrown away!)

Step back and enjoy!

Doesn't this look better than a giant black box?!

Are you on board for hiding your TV after seeing this? THis project is honestly so easy once you have your measurements down (it’s the hardest part for sure)! But take your time with those measurements and the rest is a breeze! I just can’t wait to add Fall and Christmas prints to these as the seasons change! Head to my blog for more projects like this!

Quick Edit:

Adding this photo to answer a few questions re: sound/heat. Our TV pulls out on an arm (see above) and is therefore suspended into open air when being watched. We have no issues with altered sound or heat, however, I suggest you consult your specific TV manual in regards to these things. I have seen others do this project without the TV being on a pull out arm (and attached directly to the wall) with no complaints re: sound/heat. However, again, please consult your TV manual or manufacturer before deciding what is best for you and your home.

Ana Ochoa - Fiddle Leaf Interiors

• Barbara Harcrow

That is great. I have been wanting to do something to hide the tv when it wasn't being used. I was actually wanting to just build a wooden picture frame for the tv and then let my tv display slowly rotating photos from my personal collection. I really do like your idea. Any concern about air flow and heat for the tv?

• Our tv is on a pull out arm. When it is on it is pulled out and into the open air, so we do not have concerns about that. My best advice is to check your tv manual, but i would guess most modern OLED and energy star TVs do not produce a significant amount of heat. If you plan to have your tv on constantly and enclosed in a frame, you’ll need to do some research on the heat output of your specific tv.

• Angela Carter DePew

Doesn't this interfere with the sound/volume as the speakers are in the rear. Causing you to have volume turned louder and being loud in next room?

• Mary McDonald

We don’t even use the tv volume. Instead we have a speaker bar-way better sound and easy to blend as it’s so slim

• Angel

Where do you hide the wires?

• Ken Erickson

First off - we don't have a TV in our bedroom, but this is a nice project for people that do.

• Thanks Ken! The great thing is that this works for TVs in any room of your home, not just bedrooms! We personally don’t like the look of a TV anywhere! 😆

• Ken Erickson

Agreed. Many were concerned about heat. Most new TVs don't put out much heat, bou drilling holes in the upper header would help. Sounds from speakers shouldn't be a problem with the TV exposed