Gentlemen’s Chest Transformed Into Pretty Storage for Craft Supplies

$40

Our garage is not climate controlled and has poor lighting, so I mainly work on projects inside the house. I needed a storage solution for my craft supplies, that would fit with the style of our home, that would enable easy access to my supplies.

I found a cedar lined gentlemen’s chest with castors online that worked perfectly! But it was a bit dark and drab for my taste. So I’ve been slowly transforming it over time. As you will see, the items around it change, because after each step I just moved on to another project and came back to this whenever inspiration struck. I'm sure many of my fellow DIYers can relate to this! LOL

Before

The first thing I did was wash it with TSP cleaner/ degreaser. Then I painted the door inserts with blue chalk paint.

First hit of colour

Then I decided the whole thing could use a brightening up, so I painted the rest with a creamy coloured chalk paint. I sealed everything with Annie Sloan soft wax, applied with a cloth.

Brightened up

Hardware

Then I decided the hardware was too drab, so I painted those too. I spray painted with a primer, and then sprayed again with champagne mist. I probably didn’t need the first primer as the second one was paint + primer in one, but this cabinet gets a LOT of use, so I’m sure the primer base didn’t hurt!

Hardware before
Hardware supplies
Hardware after

Colour wash

Several months later – I decided to alter the blue slightly. Even though I l loved that shade of blue – it really didn’t match the accent colour throughout our home, which is more of a teal blue. So I did a colour wash. I mixed 1 tbsp of azure blue paint with 2 tbps of water, and brushed it on. I wiped off any of the runs before they had a chance to dry.  

Before & after

I love the way it turned out – with the original blue peeking through. Almost gave it a bit of a purple hue.

So pretty!!
Finally finalized!

And I think I’m finally 100% happy with it!! I don’t expect to make any further changes to this piece. But then again, who really knows! 😊

So pretty
So organized
So done

These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home