Repurposed Wooden Spindle Carrots

$10

Old wood spindles are easy to find on old cribs or chairs. Instead of using them as fire-starters, why not easily turn them into cute carrots? Fun for garden-inspired and Spring & Summer decor.

Cut wooden spindles

Cut your wooden spindles in 6-8" sections. If you can find tapered spindles, all the better. You can use whatever width spindles you want, but you definitely want the pointy ends. I used crib spindles, so these are about an inch thick.

Paint spindles

Paint your spindles with craft paints. Instead of just orange carrots, I wanted the look of heirloom varieties. Google heirloom carrots if you need some carrot color inspiration beyond orange. I chose purple, orange and a soft gold.

Drill holes for greenery in spindles

Next, drill small holes in the ends of your carrots to fit greenery.

Glue Greenery into ends

Using a feathery faux greenery (ferny fronds work well), hot glue small pieces into the drilled holes on the ends of your carrots.

Finish carrots with lichen

For a final touch, hot glue small bits of green lichen around the base of the greenery. Finish by using a hair dryer to melt all the hot glue strings away.

Decorate with your spindle carrots!

Use your repurposed spindle carrots in your garden-inspired decorating or on your Spring table. I attached a couple to a grapevine wreath, which you can see HERE. For more fun vintage repurposing junk projects, see HERE.

Lora Bloomquist

• Rynn

Such a creative use for the spindles! Love the adorable carrots! I don 't have spindles, but was wondering if i could string together some empty thread spools for a similar look.??? Thanks for idea!

• Rynn

Good point., ha ha! Maybe graduate down the size of the spools then add some wooden beads at the end , perhaps? Either way, i LOVE your carrots. Oh, just remembered that i do have an old baby bed rail I picked up..... may be i could cut harvest some of those spindles !!! YAY! Carrots on the way for me! Have a great day !