Bunny Photo Display

$15

There’s still two weeks until Easter. And just like real bunnies, my Easter bunnies seem to be multiplying exponentially 🙂 Today I have not one, but two more adorable bunny ideas for you! But they don’t have to be for just Easter; they’d be great to adorn a nursery too.

I started with the idea of creating another wreath to hang on the front door. It’s similar to my last bunny wreath but uses this oval wooden embroidery hoop as the frame. But then I got inspired to create a standing bunny photo display. I love both versions so I’ll let you choose (you’ll see both in the reveal).

Materials

Here's a few of the materials you'll need.

Bunny

For either project, draw and print a bunny scaled to approximately 12″ x 20″ (or get the free templates at the end of this post). I taped together 4 pieces of standard printer paper to prepare my template.

Crochet I-cord

Crochet an i-cord to the length that you need to go around the outline of the bunny. Watch the video at the end of this post to see how to crochet an i-cord and see real-time details of how to put it together.

Keep crocheting until you have enough length to go around the entire perimeter of the bunny template as shown. Keep the crochet hook in the work so you can add on (or take away) if need be.

Standing Bunny (Project one)

With every project I create, I always have an upcycled item in mind as a starting point that inspires me. This time, it was this discarded electrical wire. To create the wire form, I started by using a round object to create a circle. I bent the end of the wire as shown to act as a hook.

Here is the completed wire form. Note that for the second project, you don’t need the circle; just form the wire around the outline as-is.

Cover with I-Cord

Thread the i-cord onto the open end of the wire. You might find it helpful to either tape the end so the wire doesn’t catch the yarn or do what I did: cover it with a cap (such as the kind used for caulking).

Feed the i-cord all around until all the wire is covered.

Create hooks in both ends of the wire and crimp together. Bring the two ends of the i-cord together then sew them closed. I wrap the yarn end with a piece of tape so it’s stiff, like the end of a shoelace, so I can easily weave the i-cord back and forth. Hide the ends inside: use the crochet hook to help pull the yarn ends through the middle of the i-cord to hide them.

Bend the circular piece of wire backward until the bunny is perfectly balanced and standing. He almost looks like he could hop away now!

Tie on the pom pom tail and hide the ends within the i-cord. A large darning needle helps with this.

Cut off a long length of invisible thread (I doubled mine).

Thread it onto the needle and knot the end. Start at the bottom and zig zag the thread through the i-cord all the way to the top of the bunny.

Criss cross the threads as you wish back toward the bottom again and tie off.

I embellished my bunny by placing a butterfly on her nose. Then I fasted some cards to the invisible thread with tiny wooden clips (mini binder clips or even paper clips would work too). You could display photos or artwork instead: anything that you wish to display.

I love how the Bernat baby blanket yarn emulates the bunny fur. I guess it keeps more than just babies cozy! Project # 1 done! Onto the second one.

Bunny Wreath (Project Two)

I used the same  template I used for my last bunny wreath and proceeded with making the i-cord and wire bunny form as in project the bunny wreath, you’ll need everything used for Project plus cotton cord and an embroidery hoop (I took it apart and only used the inner portion).

Wrap the cotton cord around the wood hoop and distribute it evenly. If you prefer a more solid coverage of the wood, use two packages of cord to cover the hoop. Leave enough cord at the top to form a hanging loop and stitch together securely using the invisible thread.

Use the invisible thread to tie the bunny onto the oval frame (secure it at the top and bottom) and then hang on the door. For this one, I embellished the neck with a piece of grosgrain ribbon and matching ecru-coloured pom pom.

Watch the Video (and Subscribe to our YouTube Channel)

If you’re like me and you’re a visual learner, good news. I’ve branched out from quick one-minute videos to full talkies! I hope you’ll find this instructional video helpful. It’s still early in the process for me, but I have faith that this new format will improve with time and practice :).

Hope you enjoyed these two Easter bunny projects. Now you’ve seen both, which one is your favourite? Is it the photo bunny display? Or do you prefer the bunny wreath? Let me know in the comments  .

If you'd like to make your own easter bunny, you find the free template on our website (link below where you see our logo).

Are you Ready to Get Your Craft Mojo On?

We always endeavour to bring you unique craft projects on Birdz of a Feather that you won’t find elsewhere. Follow us on social media to stay in the loop (copy & paste in browser) :

Pinterest: http://bit.ly/BirdzPIN

Facebook: http://bit.ly/BirdzFB

YouTube: http://bit.ly/BirdzYT

Instagram: http://bit.ly/BirdzIG

• Baby blanket yarn  (Fabricville.com)
  • Pom pom  (Fabricville.com)

Birdz of a Feather

• Joanie

I crochet so I'm pretty sure I can do this. I even have the oval hoop for another thread project. My question........Is this all done in single crochet? It is hard to distinguish.

• Barb

Just a thought, would it be possible to thread the yarn onto the wire first and then to bend it into shape?

• Birdz of a Feather

I think would be much more difficult to get crisp bends if you thread the i-cord first but you could give it a try. If you do it, please let me know how it went :)