Easiest Vertical Garden Ever!

$45

Hey! It's Jess from Jessica Welling Interiors. I've got an ultra-simple project that's perfect for Spring to share with you today. It's a vertical garden. And you can do the entire project in about 40 minutes. I promise, it really is that quick and easy! Let's get started.

Before

We recently built a new fire pit area in our backyard. But the bare, boring fence around it really needed something interesting to bring it to life. So I ordered these cool hanging planter pockets from Amazon to create a vertical garden.

Attach Planter to Fence

Use a drill and long screws to attach the planter pockets to the fence or wall, using the grommet holes at the top.

Add Soil & Fertilizer

Use a container to scoop potting soil into the pockets, filling each one about half-way. I like to add a few shakes of my favorite slow-release slower fertilizer, Osmocote before adding the plants.

Separate plants

I chose hearty sedum and a few succulents for my vertical garden, because they don't require a ton of water, and the pockets can dry out easily in the sun. I bought a sedum "tile" at Home Depot, and as you can see, it came with several different species mixed in. I pulled the tile out of the container and gently separated it into 12 chunks.

Plant

Next, plant one of the sections of sedum in each pocket. You may need to fill in around it with a bit more soil when you're done.

Water

Now water your new vertical garden, being sure to get plently of water into each pocket. Of better yet, set up a drip hose at the top to trickle down through the pockets!

Come check out another vertical garden we built for our patio HERE! I absolutely love gardening and designing outdoor spaces on a budget, and my blog is full of outdoor decor tips tricks, and ideas!

Jessica Welling Interiors

• Diana Runs with Scissors

Do you have an idea how to attach a similar garden to a cement block wall?

• Ej Jane

There are special screws made for cement and blocks, that can be drilled into the blocks, hope this helps you and others

• Red

For the answer to the person with the Cinderblock wall use the cheap hooks you find at the Dollar store and use one for each hole. They fit over a door but, can be adjusted to fit the blocks, if they are not too wide. I love succulents too. Where is the after view?

• LeeAnn Maderia-Cametti

No completed after pic? ,or am I not experienced enough yet at the app to know how to see the full projects? I still all the way through???

• Jessica Welling Interiors

Sorry I don't have the whole fire pit makeover finished yet... but there's a pic of the garden on the fence. Hopefully the fire pit will get finished this spring!

• Maureen

Great idea. Your vertical garden looks awesome. Thank you for sharing ❤️

• Lady Anne

This would be perfect for fresh herbs - mint, basil, etc. I wonder if an upcycled shoe bag would work? The pockets would be deeper and might hold larger plants.

• Martina

A fabric shoe bag should work. If it's plastic or has a coating, be sure to cut some drainage holes which I would cut into the back, bottom of each compartment. I may try this.