How to Transform a Coffee Table With Mosaic Art!

$20

I love to create functional pieces of art and seeing this old vintage coffee table where the broken glass top was removed and I saw underneath was plywood which is fine to lay tiles directly onto.

Remove glass top

Vintage broken glass table

I remove safely the top of table and clean the top ready for design.

PVA glue edges

Table top

I decide to use 10 mm black vitreous glass tiles that are all pre cut and can be laid directly with PVA glue straight onto the top.

Laying tiles

PVA glue onto table

I start to lay the tiles around edge of table in a straight evenly spaced manner.

Laying mosaic tiles

Laying tiles around edge

Laying the next row working from the outside edge inwardly. I choose colour palette of greens oranges and pastels. I use tiles of 20mm and there is no need to cut these.

Create design

Laying mosaic tiles

I choose to alternate the colours and do black boundary lines with white interspersed in it too.

You can choose colours you like or vary the stripes in whatever way you feel works.

Adding more tiles

Adding tiles to table with PVA glue

Ready to grout

Building the design

I lay the last few tiles in centre and leave it to dry overnight before grouting with ready mixed black grout .

Grouting

Laying tiles in centre

I spread the ready mixed black grout along the middle with a plastic card and work it into all the crevices and clean it off after 20 mins with a wet cloth and wipes.

Grouting
Grouting the table

Give the final clean and tidy once it is dry and remove any dry grout that is covering the tiles.

Big Reveal

Cleaning off grout

The table is ready to be showcased!

Mosaic coffee table
Mosaic upcycled coffee table
Mosaic coffee table

• Betsy Gaus

I have a glass tabletop. Would the PVA glue work on glass?

• Susan Goode

I would cover the glass top with plain white paper and pva that down and dry it before laying your mosaic tiles onto the paper and sticking with pva .

• Kathy Mason

approximately how many tiles did it take to do your coffee table?

• Kath

What could you use for the base (table top) that would be waterproof for outdoor use?

• Susan Goode

Yes it’s tricky but like most weatherproof materials it’s still with caution to not leave out in bad weather over a long period of time. Metal tables are durable and often used and sealants and cement suitable for outdoor use helps.

• Eve911

Your table looks great. Did you know that mozaic table tops were the craze in the 60's?

• Eve911

I made a mozaic table top about 15 years ago and used epoxy resin on top to protect the tiles and grout.