Asked on Apr 2, 2020

Stinky Bathroom ?

BetsyLindaFastlights
+15

How can I clean a bathroom of a bad urine smell?

• Cynthia H

Find the source of the smell first. It may be soaked into the grout or flooring. Usually around the toilet would be my first place to start. If regular cleaning doesn't remove it, an enzyme product may be able to get to it. Good luck and stay safe!

• Janice

Mix a 1:1 solution of white vinegar and water and wash everything down with it. If your floor is tile, leave it on the tiles for a while and then rinse. Pour a cup of vinegar into the water tank and let it sit overnight without flushing.

• K. Rupp

Yes wash everything with a mix of vinegar/dish soap/water mix. Add some essential oils like lemongrass, tea tree oil, rosemary and peppermint. This smell is very nice and pretty strong!! Does not bother your lungs as chemicals do like bleach. Check around the bottom of the toilet. Make sure you clean the area where the toilet base meets the tile on the floor. Does that have caulk? Sometimes urine can seep into that spot and can continue to smell and you won't know where the smell is coming from. Also, there might be an area in the toilet bowl that possibly could be hollow that you might be missing. Some of the newer toilets have it and you will have to get really close to see the area in your toilet bowl. I think it is around the ring in the front where toilets might have this hollow section. I was complaining about this very same thing and someone described this to me that it could be the unknown source of the smell. When I went to look, my toilet didn't have it. So this is 3rd person info....just thought I would mention it. good luck!

• Johnavallance82

Hi Tammy,

Replace the floor! Scrub the bowl the outside down to the floor and all the stuff behind, back of the seat!! Replace the seat!!! Use a sweet smelling disinfectant like "Floral" Best wishes.

• Redcatcec

You have several good suggestions from others, my thought is to check the grout-if you have any, the urine may have seeped into it, also if your have any duct work near the toilet look, smell, and clean in there. If you have a rug around your toilet, it needs to go. Of course remove the seat and lid to the toilet. It is also possible for the toilet tank to retain the urine smell, the outside bottom of it maybe porous and urine could have over-sprayed, taking up the odor.

• Tammy May Richardson

Thanks everyone, hopefully I’ll get it resolved! I really don’t want to put down a new floor.

• Chloe Crabtree

Baking soda naturally neutralizes odors. Sprinkle it liberally on the damp area or even an old urine stain, and work the powder gently into the fibers of any fabric, rug or carpet. Let the baking soda sit overnight for maximum odor absorption, then vacuum it up to remove the smell completely.

• Scarlet Paolicchi

I would try a sanitizing spray with essential oils to kill any germs and smell good. https://familyfocusblog.com/diy-hand-sanitizer-spray/

• Nan W.

Hi! hopefully you don't have carpeting in there! Even if yo don't, I had a similar problem and had to remove the floor and treat the surface under it!

• Lifestyles Homes

When my boys were little this was a big problem and I used vinegar on the vinyl tile, wiped clean with water and then sprayed Nature’s Miracle enzymes on it, especially at the seams.

The vinegar residue has the be gone or it will kill the enzymes.

The boys were taught to sit down, since even men “splash”.

• Audrey

Take the top part of the stool off and spray the bottom part and the back part of the stool that's close to the wall and clean it real good, spray the holes( where you screw the stool part back to the commode)real good and spray the front outside part of the stool and clean it, if you have rugs wash then, if you have carpet use fabulous and clean it,

• Kathy Gunter Law

Buy cheap shaving cream, the white stuff, and use it for a cleaner. Wipe it all over in a thick foam and let sit for a while. Then clean away.

• Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

Soak the whole area with peroxide. Be sure to try to get all around/under the commode itself if there's no caulking. Let sit for a bit. Then wipe off with clean cloth. Spray again and wipe down. Worked for me

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

Try cleaning it with this shaving cream hack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MIx66DzRhQ

• Fastlights

Sometimes I do bleach the whole floor and bowl but still if the smell is still there then the problem might be on the pipes on your bowl.

• Linda

If you have cleaned it and the urine smell is still there then it might be under the flooring or in the wood. If it is a cat urine issue I wrote a post on how to get rid of cat urine smell. https://lifeonsummerhill.com/how-to-get-rid-of-cat-urine-smell/

Hi Tammy: I have used a product called Odormute. Pet Supplies Plus used to carry it, but I'm not sure now. You can get it online. You need a product that will change the chemical properties of the urine, or an enzyme eater. The stuff seems expensive, but you just use a little bit. It's environmentally safe, you can use it on your pet for skunk smells, and it's made in the USA! Doesn't get any better than that. Good luck with whatever you use.