Asked on Apr 3, 2020

I have a door opening at the end of my kitchen

FlipturnKen EricksonMarsha
+5

I have a door opening between my kitchen and laundry room and back door that cannot be closed off. I loose major heat and air conditioning thru the area. I need a see thru solution to save energy. What ideas can I try?

• Nan W.

Marsha: why not use a clear shower curtain on a tension rod...!

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

Can you share a photo to help with ideas?

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Agreed, a clear curtain would help a lot!

• Kathy Gunter Law

It may not be pretty but the plastic draping material that is used in commercial freezers would leave it visible but keep a lot of your HVAC in it's place.

• Gk

Is there a reason why the doorway cannot have a door installed? That would be the best bet to stop or slow down your energy loss in this area. Or can you install a new outside door that is better insulated? Hanging a curtain isn't going to do much to insulate the space.

• Marsha

my husband agrees. Thanks for your answer.

• Ken Erickson

Provide an insulated back door and storm door. Ensure laundry room is insulated. You could also install a storm door at the doorway ti laundry.

• Flipturn

Agree with others above who have noted that a plastic shower curtain is going to have zero insulating value.