Asked on Apr 3, 2020

How costly is turning my single car carport into teo car garage?

The Bachelorette Pad FlipBecky at Flipping the FlipLinda
+12

I have an older 1960s home with a single car carport. We want to extend the carport out and have a two car garage but I dont know how costly that would be especially extending the roof. I'm wondering if I should just buy a metal garage building instead.

• Gk

Your best answer would be to get some estimates from local builders for extending the carport. They will be able to tell you if it can be done and how it can be done. Get a few different estimates rather than just one. Once you do that then you can look at the cost of a metal garage building and make your price comparisons. You will also have to take into consideration any foundation and floor costs plus electrical.

• Redcatcec

Here's some info on your project with prices:

https://www.cardinalcarports.com/metal-garages-steel-garages-enclosed-garages/2-car-garages-two-car-garages-metal-garages

Select Carports > double carports, also Metal Garages > 2 car garages

• Kathy Gunter Law

It can be rather costly, depending on many factors. The first thing I would do is check with local municipality for permits and zoning. You will need to make sure you are clear with the roofline to extend out. How far will it be from the property line is another consideration. Can you match the materials or get something that will co ordinate is another.

At the least, get a price for a building and then you will have something to compare.

• Cheryl A

you could enclose it as a one car garage cheaper than adding on to make a two car garage here is some info for you https://www.angieslist.com/articles/how-much-does-it-cost-convert-carport-garage.htm

I agree with Kathy. Better check building codes and see what you are able to do. Also check with your homeowners insurer. They can not insure it and even cancel your policy.

• Deb K

Hi Jessica, I am hoping this link will give yo an idea or two, and hope it helps you out.

https://www.garaga.com/ca/information/faq/transforming-carport

Hello Jessica: What ever you do, check with your city for permits. You should have someone who is licensed and bonded to do the work. If something goes wrong, your insurance may (will) not cover the damages. Also, your taxes will increase. Check with the BBB (Better Business Bureau) to see if the company has any unresolved problem, or any problems at all. If a company says that they will save you money if you pull the permit, send them packing! The person pulling the permit is saying that they are doing the work. And, if you pull the permit saying you are doing the work and are not experienced and something happens, it's on you and you will not be covered by insurance. A reputable company will take care of all of the permits. This is something you can go cheap on, unfortunately. Also, check to see how thick the concrete will be and what the composition is. Some companies use a cheap grade of concrete. Get several bids and ask about the composition of the concrete. You may see a variance. Good luck

• Johnavallance82

Hello Jessica,

Why not get some prices from suppliers and see what works out best for you! You never know it could work out cheaper than you expect.

• Melinda Crowe

It can be very costly or cost nothing at all it depends on u I'm very resourcefull so I go to acabnet shop that throws away a lot of amazing wood & get it or to our local hardware store & buy there oops wood if it is what I need for half price so if u want to inclose it u will need a foundation unless u leave it dirt u can go back & use gravel for ur floor cement is not cheap so u need 2x4 to make ur frame u no what Google it or look it up on utube & they will tell u every detail

• Kmdreamer

The metal building would be cheaper and portable and you won't need a building permit for it and your taxes won't go up

• Linda

It would be much cheaper to buy a metal garage building.

• A metal garage building will be a lot less expensive. You’d need construction permits, architect drawings, new foundations or slabs poured, and likely a contractor to build out a two car garage.

• The Bachelorette Pad Flip

The answer varies greatly- best to get estimates from people in your area!