How To Make Stamped Garden Stepping Stones

$25

Do you need some garden stepping stones, but you want something cute with lots of character?! Make your own! I love the unique pattern that we stamped into these garden stepping stones. They were so fun and easy to make!

If you love this project, be sure to subscribe to our blog to receive updates regularly!

Even if you’ve never done a DIY project with concrete before, these stepping stones are seriously SO easy!

Step 1: Build stepping stone mold. We decided to build 1 foot square stepping stones, so we cut our 2×3 pieces down to size so that the inside measurements would be 12 inches wide and 12 inches tall. 

For the bottom of the mold, cut a piece of plywood 12x12 that fits tightly inside the mold. This is to prevent the concrete from spilling out the bottom.

Step 2: Cut rubber mat down to size (12x12 inches)

Step 3: Mix concrete. Grab a bucket, your bag of cement and a trowel for mixing. Add water while stirring until you get the right consistency. Be sure you only mix enough for one stepping stone at a time (which I would estimate is about 1/4 of the bag or so).

Step 4: Pour concrete into garden stepping mold (with the plywood added to the bottom of the mold). Next just simply pour the concrete into your wooden mold.

Be sure to leave about 1/2″ or so at the top to allow room for the rubber door stamp. After you fill the mold, tap the edges of the wooden mold with a rubber mallet several times.

Step 5: Wait until the concrete sets up a little bit and then add the rubber mat as a stamp. Lightly lay the rubber door mat stamp on top and then gently press another 12x12 plywood square on top of the rubber door mat and press down evenly. The extra piece of plywood helps press the mat down evenly and level.

Note: Leave the rubber mat on while drying.

Step 6: Let dry. Drying times will vary based on your weather and humidity levels, but we left it one day.

Step 7: Remove doormat and unscrew mold.

Note: I did not have any troubles with the doormat, plywood or mold sticking to the concrete.

Now you can put your cute garden stepping stone in place and enjoy!

If you love this and want to learn more like it, be sure to check out all of my DIY tutorials in the archives here!

Chelsea @ Making Manzanita

• Lady Anne

Very clever. I've been wanting stepping stones across an area where grass will NOT grow, and this looks easy enough I could probably do it myself.

• Patti

LOVE this. Can I use a metal piece for a stamp or does it have to be rubber?