Asked on Apr 4, 2020

How do I cover up old molly bolt holes?

BetsyBecky at Flipping the FlipLinda
+12

I need to paint my bathroom and there are 8-10 molly bolt holes that were previously painted over. Is there a way to cover or hide them?

• Nan W.

Tonia: this is the way to go -- and fill with spackling paste. Repaint. Luckily it's a bathroom --- a small space!

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/remove-molly-drywall-damage-42240.html

• It looks like they painted over the molly too. They will have to be removed, then you can spackle, sand, and paint.

• Cynthia H

Personally, I find them easier to pry out and patch the wall. Otherwise you end up with a raised area on the wall that is never smooth.

• Gk

I have just popped some of these out with a screwdriver but then you have a bigger hole! Nan's info is good-- I like the idea of tapping them down into the drywall instead so you can spackle right over them. I would use some drywall mud instead of spackle and sand it smooth once it dries.

Nan W. has the right idea. I have never been able to straighten them out to remove them. I just tap them in below the drywall surface. I actually use a ball peen hammer. Hammer on one end and a ball on the other. You can use a bolt the size of the molly and gently tap it. Then use no shrink drywall patching compound to fill in the dent.

• Dee

You can use a scraper or exacto knife to take off the outside of the molly bolt. I just did this the other day when painting my entryway. Then push the rest of the bolt into the wall. You can then use spackle or drywall compound. I like the pink spackle that turns white when dry. Then lightly sand the spackle down even to the wall. Then paint.

• Unique Creations By Anita

I fill mine with No more Gaps, it works on most holes.

• Melinda Crowe

Simple easy way is toothpaste

• Johnavallance82

Hello Tonia,

Stick circles of plastic over them and then paint. It could be fun to use different colours of plastic or paint to highlight them and make them a feature!! The best way to hide something is very often to highlight the feature, that way they become part of the whole design.........

• LK

If you want the wall to be smooth, you need to pull them out, spackle, sand, prime then paint. If you don’t pull them out there will always be a bump showing.

• Vimarhonor

Hello I often find them difficult to pull out without sustaining further circumferential damage. One way to address is to use a nail punch to force deeper in the wall and spackle over the defect.

• Kmdreamer

Pull the metal pieces out plaster the holes up then paint them over

• Linda

I would take a pair of pliers and pull it out of the wall then spackle the hole, sand it and paint it. Or hang something over it.

• I push those through using a screwdriver and hammer. Be gentle though. I then patch with joint compound.

Hi Nan: When I have to remove these, what I did was get a pair of needle nose pliers and stick the end into the hole, open them as much as I can and try to twist and pull. They usually come out pretty quickly. Then, put some Spackle into the hole, let it dry, wipe with a moist cloth to smooth it out and then paint. Good luck