Blue and White LInen Closet Makeover

$50

Hello friends. It's been a while, and so much is happening in the world right now that is serious and stressful, that I thought I would lighten your day with a pretty DIY project. I mean, who doesn't love a good Before and After picture right?

So here’s my latest DIY project.

Even though we've lived in our home for five years now, I had never done anything with our linen closet. Do you have one of those rooms in house, that you just ignore?

Here's what it looked like before I tackled it.

My son tells me I should show you the 'real' BEFORE picture when the floor was full of plastic bins and you could barely get inside (because maybe a certain hoarder of unmatched towels and old bed linens was in charge...)

Oh well. I forgot to grab my camera in the beginning stages, so here it is dark and empty.

Another Before shot

Odd wires coming from the wall. Scuffed paint. No baseboards, but we did have the wood flooring extended inside here when we moved in.

Wallpaper vs Stencil

My first plan was to try a peel and stick wallpaper mostly because I wasn't in the mood to paint, but also because I was seeing so many great choices out there. In the end i was worried about the stucco finish on our walls being a problem.

But I decided that I didn't want to risk all that work and have the chance of sagging wallpaper.

So I ordered this very cool Batik stencil.

And I decided to use two shades of blue on the stencil pattern. And another shade of blue for the shelves that were already in the closet.

First step

i repainted the whole space a bright white. Installed baseboards. And repainted all the shelves this sapphire blue color.

Stencil the walls

Once i got started i didn't want to stop to take pictures. But stenciling is pretty basic. Once you line the pattern up, taping it into place is the key. After that you just dab-dab-dab the paint on. I'd advise starting in a corner that isn't visible at first glance, until you get the hang of it.

The part of the project when you think, "it's all in the details"

Once the stenciling was completed, I decided to add that extra touch. And ordered some gold French style upholstery nails from Amazon.

Here's a photo of the drill bit I used for this upholstery nail

After two trips to Home Depot I finally found the right teeny-weeny drill bit that would work with the size upholstery nail.

If you're curious, this is the drill gun I use.
I drilled holes into the front of the shelves.

Then I used a regular hammer to pop them gently into the holes.

Ta daaaaaa!!!

Here's a close-up of the upholstery nails on the shelf.

Another angle.

If you'd like to see more pictures, including the quilted floral ironing board that I ordered from Etsy--installed on the wall--please visit my blog link below. In the meantime i sure hope you enjoyed seeing some of my ideas here.

20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
Leslie H

• Katy Hanrahan
    Katy Hanrahan

I'm thinking about doing this project, but can't find that exact stencil and I really like it. Any chance you have the name of it? Thanks!

• Leslie H
      Leslie H

Hi Katy, I found the order form, I got it from designerstencils.com

The sku number is #3797E

And the description reads: Batik Damask all over pattern Wall Stencil size:(10 mil) The price was $37.00

I hope that helps.