Asked on Apr 5, 2020

How to remove rust buildup on metal shower hooks?

Johnavallance82The Bachelorette Pad FlipKathy Gunter Law
+14

• Redcatcec

You might try soaking them in cola.

• Linda

Soak them in CLR is my best suggestion.

• Gk

Use a bit of fine steel wool to sand off as much rust as you can and then soak them in cola or CLR. Once they are clean buff them with some car wax.

• Unexpected Elegance

Info on removing the rust and preventing it from coming back:

https://www.hunker.com/12508916/how-to-prevent-rusting-in-shower-curtain-hooks

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

You could spray paint them with some silver paint.

• Cynthia H

Hi! Clean the rust off first. If you can take them down it will be much easier. I often use plain old coke to remove rust. WD40 works too. If you have steel wool, that will help you get down to bare metal. I prefer Rustoleum paint for metal, but there are many kinds and brands out there. I would use a clear sealer after painting them. Good luck and stay safe!

• Flipturn

You can try to remove the rust, however if the metal that the shower hooks are made from is not rust-proof stainless steel, it will just continue to build up.

• Cindy

Hi Mirosales. Make a paste of salt and lemon juice. Apply it to the rust. Leave it rest at least an hour. Then rinse. Repeat if necessary. Good luck Mirosales.

• Eliesha

Barkeepers friend. Throw the shower hooks in with hot hot water, and the bar keepers friend! Let them soak for 15-30 minutes then scrub them off. I use this mix on my shower curtain rod as well to remove all the rust! Works like a charm every time

• Mogie

I cleaned up my dad's old walker. The frame was looking pretty bad thanks to rust. I crumbled up a piece of aluminum foil and rubbed it over the frame. I was amazed how much of the rust came off. Just be sure to use a fresh piece of foil often.

• K. Rupp

You can soak in vinegar to remove rust. Then steel wool it.... But then spray paint with a paint that will prevent rust. Rustoleum has a line of spray for this.

• Pamela

Hi ! I would soak them in some very hot soapy water , then use steel wool pass to clean them off and remove the dust . Once cleaner and dried , I would spray them with a clear coat or even the same metal color with spray paint to keep it from dusting again . Good luck !

• Kathy Gunter Law

Try scrubbing with barkeeper's friend or baking soda. Use steel wool as a scrubber.

• The Bachelorette Pad Flip

While you could potentially remove the rust, it'll be prone to return. I had that same problem recently and found stainless steel hooks on Amazon that weren't expensive!

• Johnavallance82

Hello there,

Try rubbing over with WD-40. Best of luck!