My Super Simple DIY Farmhouse Bed Makeover

$15

I love the farmhouse aesthetic and I’ve slowly been making over my home in the farmhouse style. In this tutorial, I’ll show you how I updated my bed from a bling filled French country style, to a rustic farmhouse style. It’s not difficult to do and it doesn’t take a lot of time so what are you waiting for? Check it out!

DIY French Country Headboard

Before

DIY Farmhouse Headboard

After

Burlap

For this project I used:

• Flat-head screwdriver (to remove the bling)
  • Black electrical tape
  • Burlap
  • Staple gun
  • Sandpaper
  • Jute rope
  • Hot glue gun

Remove the Existing Decor

Remove the Existing Decor

I had already decorated my bed with quite a bit of bling and decor. I knew that I wasn’t going to be able to remove the material insert as I had glued it down with PVA glue, and it would have been a nightmare to try and rip it all off. I was hoping that the bling wouldn’t be too difficult to remove. I used a flat-head screwdriver to pry up the edges and thankfully I was lucky and most of it just peeled right off in one strip. 

Remove Decor

Cover the Bars with Electrical Tape

Cover the Bars with Electrical Tape

Originally I had wanted to paint the bed black, but I felt like it would maybe be too dominant in the room, so I decided to make the metal bars in my headboard black. I thought of using ribbon, but I couldn’t get it to look neat. In the end I decided to use black electrical tape to cover them. Using the tape made it easy to control where I was placing it, and once I stuck it down it didn’t budge. This added that pop of black that I was looking for. I repeated the process on the bars at the foot of my bed. 

Add Burlap to the Headboard

Add Burlap to the Headboard

To attach the burlap to the headboard I started by folding the edge in the corner and stapling it in place with a staple gun. I continued this all along the right edge of the headboard. Then I did the top edge, folding and stapling as I went, and then the left edge. This made it easy to control the burlap and keep it taught. I left the bottom edge for me to deal with later. I repeated the process at the foot of my bed where I had added a similar fabric previously. 

Staple Burlap

DIY Burlap Headboard

Distress the Bed

Distress the Bed

Using sandpaper, I distressed the edges of the bed. I found it easier to distress the edges by wrapping the sandpaper around a block and rubbing along the edges. I started at the headboard and continued distressing all over the entire bed. I didn’t want to overdo, so I focused mostly on the edges, with a few spots along the sides. This gave it a nice rustic feel.

DIY Distressed Bed

Add Jute Along the Edges

Add Jute Along the Edges

Using a hot glue gun, I added jute rope along the edges of the headboard and foot of my bed. One of the reasons I did this was to add another rustic farmhouse element to my bed. Another reason was simply to cover up where I had stapled the burlap along the edges. When you hit the corners, simply fold the rope over and continue gluing. This jute rope only cost me about $7 for 8 meters of rope, what a steal!

Glue Jute

DIY Farmhouse Bed Makeover

Wasn’t that quick and easy! I’m really pleased with how this has turned out, and it complements my farmhouse bedside tables perfectly. Later I decided to add a bedskirt to complete the look. Check out that project here https://www.hometalk.com/44281437/how-to-make-a-quick-and-easy-no-sew-bedskirt-from-drop-cloth

Easy DIY Farmhouse Bed

Have you updated your furniture? Let me know how in the comments down below. 

1 comment