Homemade Disinfecting Wipes

$0

Maybe you are having a hard time finding disinfecting wipes in the stores these days due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The following is an easy recipe my mother shared with me for making Homemade Disinfecting Wipes. Bonus. I was so lucky and surprised to have everything I needed right in my own cabinets, including the 91% alcohol! I know this stuff is sold out everywhere at the moment. Hopefully you have some on hand too! Here is what you will need.

Gather your ingredients

Here are the ingredients you will need.

• Paper towel
  • Dawn dish soap
  • isopropyl alcohol (91%)
  • essential oils (optional)

Cut your paper towels

Cut your paper towel roll in half using a serrated knife or scissors. I unraveled one side and added it to the other, and then put the roll into my container. I used an Oxo container from my pantry that wasn’t being used. You can use whatever you have on hand.

Stick them in a tall container

Pour your mixture over them

This is the formula that I used…

• 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup alcohol (For this recipe it must be 91% alcohol)
  • 1/2 tablespoon of Dawn dish soap
  • Add 10-15 drops of Essential Oils (I used lemongrass)

Mix thoroughly then pour the mixture right over the paper towels. 

Side Note: Essential oils are a natural disinfectant. Other good essential oil combos include…

• Peppermint & Tea Tree
  • Lemongrass & Lavender
  • Lavender & Rosemary
  • Geranium & Lime
  • Tea Tree & Orange

Pull out the center roll

I left the center roll in and was able to pull it out after waiting a minute or two, or when it was wet enough to just pull right out.

That is it!

Once done, put on a label (optional) and enjoy! I like to put some of these in a ziplock baggie when I go grocery shopping to disinfect the grocery cart, my hands, my steering wheel or whatever needs disinfecting.

The House house

• Victoria

How do I make something to clean Stainless steel

• Shirley

soak orange peels in vinegar for about 2 weeks , strain and use

liquid to wipe off grease / stainless s.

• Liz A

With the soap in the mix, do you need to rinse afterwards?

• The House house

No, it doesn't really make suds. You only use a 1/2 tablespoon so it dissolves into the mixture pretty well.

• Susan

Is it possible to just use unscented baby wipes and pour a small amount of rubbing alcohol in and let it soak

• Rachelanita

Would there be a formula to use 70% Alcohol? And what would that be? I found (treasure) a bottle of the 70% in my cabinet!!!!!

• Gilda Fontes

I think it's a wonderful idea in normal times, but maybe you should rethink the proportion of alcohol/water (2 to 1), if your goal is to protect your family against this novel corona virus (SARS-COV2). I'm not a chemical engineer, but the equation seems easy: As you probably know, alcohol 91º means there's a concentration of 91% alcohol in water. Scientists say that alcohol needs to be concentrated at a percentage of 63% to 72% to effectively kill this virus. (And that's why alcohol 70º is so hard to find...) Now, 91% is too high for this virus: you risk only damaging the outside but not really kill it (like when you fry frozen food in too hot oil: it burns on the outside, but it's still frozen inside). So you should dilute it, of course, but when if you put together 1/2 cup of 91º alcohol and 1/4 cup of water, you're making it too weak - around 60%. And then you add the dish soap and the essential oil, making it even weaker. However, if you cut the water in half, making it a 4 to 1 proportion (1/2 cup alcohol and 1/8 cup water) and afterwards add the dish soap and the essential oils, that should do it. Again, I'm not an expert, but that's what I would do. In fact, that's what I'm going to do with this idea of yours. :-)

• Tew

Like most people I would assume the higher the percent of alcohol the better but since you "drew the picture" I learned a lesson!