Asked on Apr 7, 2020

Which Do I use on a chalk painted bathroom countertop- wax or poly?

Deb KJohnavallance82Dee
+10

• Gk

Definitely poly. Better yet--use a marine spar varnish as it is water resistant/water proof.

I am not sure how durable this is going to be for you which is why I suggested the marine spar. I think it will last much much longer this way.

• Deb K

Hi Lisa, you can buy a nice matte clear coat as well, mask off around it and it won't ruin the nice matte look of the chalk paint

• Deb K

I used it on a sign I painted and hung outdoors in elements year round and it has help up fine, rain, snow hail wind, you name it!

• GrandmasHouseDIY

I totally agree with marine spar varnish, chalk paint is not designed for wet areas the marine spar varnish will give you the most life out of your countertop.

• Nan W.

Lisa: especially on a countertop --- wax would not hold up!

• Definitely poly.

• Because of the water present in bathrooms, I'd recommend poly. Several coats.

Best product would be Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Minwax-Helmsman-Indoor-Outdoor-Spar-Urethane-Satin-Finish-1-Quart/17253538

Personally I would only used paint specific for countertops. Should be epoxy based

• Cynthia H

Hi! Poly will give you more durability. Stay safe!

• Dee

Spar varnish is the best because it is made to be used near water. That is what the boats are coated with. I do not think a chalk paint counter top will last very long in the bathroom. You may want to try a good epoxy or resin.

• Johnavallance82

Hello,

I would make sure the Varnish/Finish you use if water proof otherwise you are going to have to keep re-doing it! Maybe Yacht Varnish - Clear!

• Deb K

Hi Lisa, definitely the marine spar varnish, it's designed for use outdoors, so moisture won't be an issue for it!