Handmade Woven Wreath-Dressed for Spring

$5

In this tutorial I show you how to make a woven wreath. Simple and easy to decorate for different seasons. Here I used macrame cord and felt flowers. However, you could use twine or jute rope, raffia or even yarn! The sky is the limit!

Step 1: Gather your materials

You will need a wire wreath form. This is a small one that I got at the Dollar Tree. Next Bonnie cording. Felt if you are planning to make flowers. Hot glue for attaching your embellishments. A lighter for fusing the cord to itself. A Tape measure for measuring your lengths of cord.

Step 2: Cut the cord to a manageable length.

I cut mine about 140" long. There is a lot of pulling through at the beginning.

Step 3: Start Weaving

If you are using the bonnie cord, it is a poly blend and can be fused if heated with a lighter. Just heat the cut ends and it will begin to melt and you can wrap it around the first loop and then just stick it to itself. The video will show you better, I couldn't fuse it and take a picture at the same time. Then you just begin weaving over under, over under.

Step 4: Continue Weaving

You are going over the bottom wire, under the second, over the third and then under and around the top wire, then back down, under over under over and then loop around and go back up. It's really quite enjoyable!

When you get to one of the vertical wires, simply pull the cord over the entire wreath frame to cover the wire, and continue on the other side weaving over and under. It is the best way I could figure to deal with those bars. I tried wrapping around them, but it just looked messy.

When you run out of cord, you can just tie on some new cord, or if you have the Bonnie cord, you can heat it with a lighter and fuse a new piece on to the old one. Just be careful, I did burn myself once!

Keep going all the way around the frame. Tie it off or fuse the end on the back.

Now the fun part, dress up your wreath. You can use anything with these. I could see going in a nautical direction with this. Perhaps some lavender or some other pretty fake flowers. Whatever your heart desires! You can just hot glue them on, or use a wire if you want to change it out for the seasons.

I pictured mine with felt flowers. I found two excellent tutorials for making the flowers that I chose. I share those links over on my blog.

https://theeverydayfarmhouse.com/woven-wreath-dressed-for-spring/

There is also a video below to help you see the process! I hope you make a woven wreath for your own home!

Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.More info
Jenn Dynys

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 6 questions
  • Patricia Skula Patricia Skula on May 06, 2020

What color cord did you use ? Thanks

• Patricia Skula Patricia Skula on May 08, 2020

Thanks for responding in a timely fashion My local hobby Lobby is out of stock in that color so I have to wait to see if it comes back in ! I love that color can’t wait to make it

• Jennifer Djukic Jennifer Djukic on May 10, 2020

How much cord did you use for the full wreath?

Comments

2 of 20 comments
Next