Asked on Apr 8, 2020

How to antique corkboard table?

Liz at Simple Decorating TipsJohnavallance82Deb K
+11

can you distress a (not wood) corkboard? table?

• Gk

I am not sure what kind of table you have. If you are talking about corkboard like a corkboard bulletin board I would say no. Old corkboard usually gets brittle and breaks off in pieces. I would think that you could paint corkboard if it was on a flat surface and then use poly over it to protect it but...so hard to tell without seeing a picture. You may be able to do a small amount of distressing on a flat surface (is the corkboard on top of the table?) using some extra fine sandpaper or the wet/damp method if you are using chalk paint but I would not sand on the edges--or if you did--very very gently. Post a pictureif you can!

• Chas' Crazy Creations

I'm not sure what a corkboard table is, but there are many things you can distress even if they aren't real wood like this for example - https://homeguides.sfgate.com/distress-painted-laminate-furniture-91031.html

• If it's flat and smooth, you should be able to paint it and then apply an antiquing medium.

• Redcatcec

Cork is usually porous, that right there makes this project difficult. Depending on the thickness and texture of the cork you would have to determine whether this is a doable as distressed.

A picture would be very helpful to see what you are actually starting with.

You would probably have to seal the cork before you could actually do any painting or distressing. If you have a frame around the corkboard, that would help with the process.

• Vimarhonor

Hello. If the corkboard is sealed it might be possible. If it is raw corkboard a stain or prepared acrylic antiquing glaze might be absorbed in different ways causing a very unpleasant mottled appearance.

• Dianacirce70

If the cork is porous you can seal it before you antique it, but I am thinking if its a table its already sealed. Do you want to be able to tell the surface is cork? If that doesn't matter then you can just paint and glaze it.

• Kathy Gunter Law

You might try staining with tea. We did that once, a long time ago, and it turned out great.

• Beth

If you meant particle board, here are some good ideas: https://homeguides.sfgate.com/ways-make-fake-wood-look-shabby-chic-80483.html

• Mogie

Cork board like a cork bulletin board, particle board, is the entire table cork board or just an insert on the top? A picture would be VERY helpful. Thanks!!!

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

Could you add a layer of wood on top with wood glue and stain it? Then paint the rest of the table white?

• Kelli L. Milligan

Is it really cork on top or is it particle board. I guess with either you could just add scuffed areas with a darker color. No sure you can sand cork.

• Deb K

Hi tracey, I am thinking you could do something with this video, it paint on so it would not disturb the cork at all, hope it helps you,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRZh8Y95-Ks

• Johnavallance82

Hi there,

If really cork, then you won't be able to rub it down, but you could give it a shabby look - by adding colour in places and over laying more colour as required.

Antique look - Use wax polish on it in a dark colour.......Hope that's of some help!

• Yes, you can create a distressed finish with layers of paint, no matter what the actual base is made of. Here is a post showing how I made a distressed finish on a kitchen island.