I was on the search for a unique wall cabinet or hutch top to modify into a laundry room cabinet. I found this little jewel of a cabinet at ReStore for just $30. It is solid wood and was perfect for my needs. I went past it several times and kept coming back to it. Lucky for me, it was still there after several months.
Laundry Room Cabinet and Remodel
How to recycle some ReStore (Habitat for Humanity) treasures into a darling and functional laundry room cabinet.
From this........to an adorable and functional laundry room cabinet.
I wanted to add a “detergent bay” within the cabinet that would allow me to utilize the push-button dispenser I was already paying for on the jug. I used a saw hole bit to cut the half circle to allow the spout to fill the cup without spilling on the shelf.
To allow this, I had to add an additional lower shelf to the cabinet, and because of my height limitation, I had to cut down the height of the open bins. I planned on making drawers anyways, and could just make the drawers to fit the opening.
It took a few trial and errors and head scratching to get it right.
I was very lucky to purchase an open box/unassembled tv cabinet for $10 also from ReStore. This gave me a ton of real wood to use in the modification. So most of the materials other than paint, crown molding and drawer/door hardware was very cheap. Ordered the handles online.
I wanted a “barn door” type sliding door to cover the laundry dispensers when not in use. I came up with the idea to use some stainless steal rods (also from ReStore) and eye hooks to make the sliding hardware on the cheap. I was amazed how well it works. I used several “screw-together” rods and drilled 2 holes in the end of the cabinet on each side to secure the rods. Make sure they are far enough apart to allow the front and back doors (and the eye hooks) to glide past each other. I had to think this through to get it right. The eye hooks are screwed into the top of doors, and the rod goes through the hook. Drill your hole dead center the depth of the door, and apx 1 1/2-2" from the ends. When screwing them in, start with the hook in the same direction so they end up facing the same way. I had the rounded hook end placed towards the back, with a solid round from the front. The trim to cover the sliding hardware was a piece of wood header trim from some old wood blinds. It was in the “free bin” at ReStore and I grabbed several of them many years ago because they were nice and thin. It was just what I needed for this project.
Painting the modified shelf
This cabinet was part of my overall laundry room remodel. The project included making a faux barn door for the laundry room storage/sorting closet, new flooring, bead board wainscoting, new paint and decor. Here are a few pictures of how it all came together.
I also added an additional shelf to add some decor to the cabinet. The pine wood for the shelf was also purchased at ReStore.
The barn door is trimmed out with left over underlayment from a shiplap project. We have a solar water heater to the left of this closet and we have to access the tank. When it was installed in the early 80's, we just used closet door slide hardware (rolls on those nylon rollers in a metal track) and 2 sheets of particle board. I wanted to dress up the right door that covers the laundry closet. I used the old door and just added the strips of wood and trimmed it out to give it the “look” of being hung with barn door hardware, my husband cut 2 pieces of metal, welded bolts on it and did smaller holes to screw it on the door. We painted it black like the handle and no one is the wiser.
Inside the closet, I built this custom rack to fit the laundry baskets. I used the plastic coated wire shelving and 2X2" boards. Cut the racks leaving a tail on each horizontal shelf end. Drill holes in the side support 2X2 and shove the ends into it for a clean edge. I made a template for the holes on card stock so I didn't have to measure each one. I amazed myself they lined up so good. Makes such a clean edge. I also decided to have the front edge flip up instead of down to secure the laundry basket in case of movement.
The hanging rod gives me a place to hang the dried clothing up before taking them to the bedroom closets.
Because all the plumbing to the upper floors is accessed in the ceiling of this room, We had to do a dropped ceiling back when we first did this. I replaced the old 24 X 24" tiles with these cute coffered ones. I began to panic when I realized the coffered ones didn’t lay flat and were raised in the center - how was I going to cut them down to fit on the sides. I called the company and they said to use flat ones and I was like NO WAY.....so with some extra thought to the process, I was able to modify them to fit the sides of the room. I know the modifications are there, but no one else would inspect them like I do.
I found the cute galvanized laundry sign (Bed Bath and Beyond) and wanted something more unique than just a hook to hang it with. This is an old Kerr jar lid with a black knob from Hobby Lobby. The lid actually had a groove to put a table knife blade in to assist with getting the lid off. It was perfect for the knob to screw into the indented place. I secured a round of wood (to fit inside the lid) to the wall and then drilled through the lid into the wood to screw the knob into. I loved how it turned out.
The estimated cost of this project is for the cabinet and materials used for upcycling it only. Other expenses in the remodeling (floor, walls....etc) are not included in the total remodel costs.
I am loving my remodel so far and am planning to make a screen to cover the ugly old water heater. I'll post it once completed.