Another Kitchen Update

4 materials
$8

We bought this house for our son and even though the kitchen is beautiful and I even like the look of black cabinets, the paint job was terrible, unfinished and chipping. So I had to paint.

You can see what color they were before if you look at the baseboards.

You can also see how it is chipping.

I decided to paint only the outside to preserve the beautiful original wood shelves inside.

This part wasn't even painted!! and they used black stain in some areas and black paint in others  go figure!

I sanded everything with a round electric sander enough so that it would take paint. I decided to use oil-base paint because you can do it with just one coat and it will last forever without chipping or peeling or scratching. Weather was good so I opened all the windows and doors. No one is living in this house yet, so it was safe.

After it was all sanded and cleaned, I proceeded to paint using a small foam roller and a good 1 1/2 inch brush.

I did all this in about three or four days to allow drying time.

After it was all dry, I glazed it all with water-base glaze and brown paint to age it or give it a "rustic" touch.

Then, added the existing hardware to the drawers, but upside down (longhorns) because my son is an "Aggie"  (inside joke for UT and TX A&M students).

Here it is all done. The small table at the center does not go there. But we are building an island to put there. I will post that project when it is finished. It will have a live edge Cedar counter.

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 5 questions

Comments

2 of 51 comments
Next