Another Kitchen Update

$8

We bought this house for our son and even though the kitchen is beautiful and I even like the look of black cabinets, the paint job was terrible, unfinished and chipping. So I had to paint.

You can see what color they were before if you look at the baseboards.

You can also see how it is chipping.

I decided to paint only the outside to preserve the beautiful original wood shelves inside.

This part wasn't even painted!! and they used black stain in some areas and black paint in others  go figure!

I sanded everything with a round electric sander enough so that it would take paint. I decided to use oil-base paint because you can do it with just one coat and it will last forever without chipping or peeling or scratching. Weather was good so I opened all the windows and doors. No one is living in this house yet, so it was safe.

After it was all sanded and cleaned, I proceeded to paint using a small foam roller and a good 1 1/2 inch brush.

I did all this in about three or four days to allow drying time.

After it was all dry, I glazed it all with water-base glaze and brown paint to age it or give it a "rustic" touch.

Then, added the existing hardware to the drawers, but upside down (longhorns) because my son is an "Aggie"  (inside joke for UT and TX A&M students).

Here it is all done. The small table at the center does not go there. But we are building an island to put there. I will post that project when it is finished. It will have a live edge Cedar counter.

• Dhana

bought your son a house? would you like to buy me one too?

• Joan Stanley

Gig 'em! Done good!

• Fam5

You said you finished it with the glaze and a brown paint but didn’t list paint in the materials. What kind of paint? Did you mix it to paint it on?

• Carolina

I used dark brown acrylic paint mixed with Glaze

• Robyn Garner

WoW! You bought your son a house AND you are doing the updates? What a fabulous Mom and extremely lucky kid. Great makeover. I hope he appreciates you! 😎

• Robyn Garner

Carolina, you ARE that great of a Mom! Regardless of the house being for investment return, you have put out a lot to acquire it and you carry all risk for future payments. Your son and the roommates will get a beautiful, updated space thanks to your DIY skills and materials investments. Take the pats on your back and be happy and proud! 😘

• Jan

Gorgeous outcome! We too, bought my daughter a house during college. It needed lots of work! I am loving doing the renovations! This summer I will paint the kitchen cabinets! I love what you have done. I may try it, instead of plain white as I had planned.