Glam Turquoise + Gold Dresser

$100

Vintage petite dresser gets a modern makeover complete with gold detailing and crystal knobs.

This basic vintage dresser was calling for a stylish modern makeover. It had some cosmetic issues from being used in someone's garage for years, such as cracks in the wood, deep gouges and well just a plain old worn out finish that screams help me!

So the first thing we did was remove the drawers, remove the hardware and clean clean clean. We used Krud Kutter and then rinsed with warm water. After letting it dry we cut a small square of wood to replace that missing drawer stop and then proceeded to fill the cracks.

We used Kwikwood because it hardens so well, and it activates by molding it in your hands. It is shapeable and paintable. I haven't had much luck getting it to take waterbased stain though (just an fyi) and dries in about an hour. We then sanded the entire piece down to get a fresh smooth start. Then we used shellac spray as our primer. Be sure to have adequate ventilation as it smells pretty strongly.

We then pulled out our spray gun, the Fuji Semi Pro to apply our paint. This is Annie Sloan Florence and yes you can spray chalk paint, you just have to make sure to thin it and use the right spray tip for your gun. We applied two coats, making sure to sand lightly in between each coat with 400 grit sandpaper and removing any dust with a tack cloth. Now here is where the real fun begins.

It was now time for gold borders around the drawers and frame so we pulled out our detail brushes and started dabbing away with Fusion's Metallic Gold Paint. We then used a bit of General Finishes Van Dyke Brown Glaze around the borders for a bit of contrast, applied with a damp sponge applicator. Next it was time to top coat! We applied three coats of a matte flat topcoat using our sprayer making sure to allow enough dry time in between each coat and sanding in between as well with 600 grit sandpaper and removing the dust with a tack cloth after each one.

We reattached vintage hardware that was salvaged from another project and paired them with new crystal knobs that sparkle like diamonds for a creative fun and fresh modernized update.

To see more: //Instagram.com/Aminidesignashburn

• Tish

How cute! Were those keyholes in each of the drawers? 🤔

Also, how would we live without Krud Kutter and KwikWood? Two essential products that I can’t do a repurposing job without... 😉

• Tish

That’s why I asked... it would be so sweet if you actually had the key(s) to hang from a drawer or two with cute little tassels... 😍

• Karen

I grew up from 60s-90s with relatives with that kind of wood furniture - what type of wood is it - I have always wanted to know but never asked when they were alive. It had a certain smell I loved also

• Joanie

I have a desk I want to put contact paper on it. Can I apply varnish for wear and tear and lasting beauty?? How many coats?

• I put Contact paper on the radiator cover and cabinet doors in my bathroom, and within a month it started to shrink noticeably. I don't know if putting some type of topcoat over it would prevent that...