Triangle Flower Bed

$100

Triangle flower bed made from reclaimed cinderblocks and mulch I've been working with on. Cost will depend on what cinderblocks or bricks used for the front, how big the flower bed is, and how much soil/dirt has to be purchased. I'm putting the actual cost I've put put of pocket but it could be more or less.

Triangle flower bed

Second year of the flower bed. I've added more and different plants. As they fill in over this season it will look even better. I've found out not all plants like mulched dirt so some of last years plants did not make it. Trial and error. All is good. Good luck on trying this in your own area.

Layout the flower bed

Layed out the design on the ground of were I felt the new flower bed would look and how big it would be. This is in a corner of the house. A fence on the right and back with the house on the left. The front opens up to the backyard.

Cinderblocks

I moved some cinderblocks that I had from another flower bed that was not working due to it being too much in the shade. I moved the cinderblocks along the front trying to follow the line on the ground. I was also working with tree roots above the ground in the area. I didn't want to buy more cinderblocks so it took a little bit of time to get them as close to filling the layout on the ground as close as possible.

Dirt time - front view

Now it's time to fill the new flower bed with dirt. Little did I know it was going to take so much dirt to fill it. I used some inert mulch that I've been working on for 2 years of pine needles, leaves, dirt, and ash from the firepit. I also then bought 10 bags of 2 cubic feet of container soil that went on the top once the free dirt was in place.

Back side of the dirt

Here is a picture of the back side of the flower bed standing in the corner of the yard.

Sheet metal going up

Now it's time to put the side panels up. I used green fence posts of different sizes depending on how high the metal siding was going to be. This can be all the same size if you want. I liked the step sides as not to make my neighbors think I was trying to block all the mess on their property. I was able to cut one sheet to get the tallest panel and the smallest one out of one sheet. I them cut one sheet in half to get the other size. I did one last cut for another smaller and the medium panels. Make sure you use gloves with the metal sheets or they will cut you.

Side view of the panels

After the side metal sheets were cut I drilled the holes through the green poles and through the metal sheets. Screws and nuts used to hold the metal sheets to the green poles.

Front view

Put some flowers in, water, and let it all grow. This is the picture the first year. The first picture is this years. I may eventually put cascading plants in the cinderblocks holes but I'm not sure what ones will work best as partial shade plants.

• Pamela

Perhaps you could consider a few plants on the back side to soften the look of the wall. Shrubs maybe?

• Terry Brown

These look like cement blocks, where can I get cinder blocks. or does it not make a difference?

• Thelma

Cement blocks and cinder blocks are not the same. They are the same size, but, the cement blocks are much heavier. When I put in our back door steps, I used the cement blocks for the bottom layer and cinder blocks for the upper 3 layers. When you look at the blocks, the cinder blocks look porous and the cement blocks don't. Also, when you pick a block up, you will immediately know whether it's cement or not.

• DC

Have you taken into consideration the heat build up from the sun on the tin? You might burn up your plants if plant too close to the tin.

Also, I have had tin rip off from my shed in strong wind. It rattles and the holes rip out and then the tin flies far and it can slice. I could not tell you how to prevent that but can just warn I know first hand that it can happen, and your tin seems fairly exposed and flimsy.

• Gayle

I would like to see an update when it all fills in. Bet it will be pretty!!

• Flipturn

If you had an exterior plug nearby on the house, I could see this 'corner' lending itself well to being decorated for the holiday season.

The tin would reflect the lights and give some extra shine to the display.

• Hope Zoie

Thank you, you have inspired me. I have been looking for a solution to block out my neighbours lol. I have done nothing but very very kind to them since moving in 6 months ago the couple fight constantly.. police show up frequently.

Yesterday I was reversing out the drive and she done the fingers at me.. I don't think they are mentally stable I just need to block them out for my own sanity! Has really ruined our first home exsperience away from my 11year abusive marriage. "Very triggering". My kids shouldnt have to see or hear it either. We hear "everything".

• Denise Regnier

You can also do this. I block the neighbors and my potting station with this hanging potted wall. It is two 4x4 posts in the ground with a panel I bought at Home Depot. The posts were only a few dollars but the panel was almost $40 but only one makes it ok. The pots are held on the panel with small screws and a washer on each. The pots came from the plastic pots the flowers come in at the store so they were free with the plants. Look for the pots in the flats with one side flat. That makes it easier to hang. Good luck to you. If you need more directions reply to this. I ignor my neighbors and they ignor me.