Asked on Apr 13, 2020

Can I modernize this clock ?

DesertRoseMaura WhiteDee
+13

Any ideas on how I can update this 60s electric wall clock

• Mary Anderson
    Mary Anderson

Please don't! But if you must, switch out the hands with a sleeker version. See if the numbers are removable. If so, replace with a more modern set.

• Gk
    Gk

You could use some chalk paint on it. You could just paint the frame part of it and leave the metallic part as is. If you can get the clock part out you could replace the face and numbers or paint it another color. If you can get the clock parts out you could use spray paint--lots of metallic choices out there as well as other pretty colors.

• GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY

You might be able to cover up that dated scroll work with punched tin. If the letters and hands are removable you could also consider spray painting the face a different color :)

William

You could paint the whole clock a brighter metallic color. Paint the square frame and round clock frame one color and leave the scroll work or paint it another color. If you could get at the numbers and hands paint them too

• Nan W.
    Nan W.

Theresa: I'm with William... go bold! ...even a metallic turquoise color. It's only paint... if you don't like it -- change again!

• Janice
    Janice

I woiuld use Rustoelum spray paint in whatever color makes you happy. Mask of the face of the clock and go for it. I can envision it in aqua or even rose gold metallic. I would not try to paint the scrolly part with anything except spray!

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Theresa,

You could paint the frame Grey and the metalwork Silver. You could paint the hands silver too. You could add a bright colour paper or fabric to the back of the clock to show through the metalwork. You could also colour the metalwork to match the fabric too. You could add a patterned background to the clock and paint the frame to blend. Have fun!

• Simple Nature Decor
    Simple Nature Decor

Paint it two colors white and constrasting blue. Very modern

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

To me the scroll work make the clock look dated, I love the actual numbers on the face of it, not much is more annoying than looking at a clock and having to figure out what time it is because only the 12, 3, 6, and 9 are the only existing numbers. That being said, leave the number there.

It looks like there is a "X" holding the whole piece in place, I would remove the scroll work, keep the "X", paint the frame a vibrant color of your choice.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. Spray paint in a bright color might be a solution.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

It is so cool! I think if you age the face that is all you would need. But if you want a second step paint the brown edge a bright color like turquoise.

• Kathy Gunter Law
      Kathy Gunter Law

I love that accent color. You can use a glaze. If it is "slick", scuff it with fine steel wool just enough for the glaze to be able to stick a bit. Then apply the glaze with a soft cloth, rubbing in circular motions. I would wipe of quickly and if it isn't dark enough, then go another round to darken some more. I did it with a shiny silver picture frame that I put a black & white photo in. I didn't like the contrast and shine so I applied black glaze. I did it twice and it looks so much better.

Another option would be to paint the scroll work to match the clock face with a gold accent paint. I just think the scroll work and clock face should be a bit closer in tone. But it is a great piece.

• Dee
    Dee

That clock is great just the way it is. But if you really want to update it, go get some Rustoleum paint in any color matching your decor. I would use a metallic paint just to brighten and clean it up a bit. You can pick up a clock face in a craft store, but again, I think it is great just the way it is.

• Maura White
    Maura White

I like the background. I would switch out the actual clock with something more like this: https://amzn.to/3a8vTyp

• DesertRose
    DesertRose

Here is a clock we updated. I love it. https://www.hometalk.com/39119818/great-update-with-paint-for-fall-decor . I love the updated colors of white and beige. Hope this helps Theresa!