Recycle Tin Cans Into A Gorgeous Spring Center Piece

$2

I recently planned a Spring tablescape for my screened porch and the inspiration was these cute napkins that I fell in love with. Wishing I could have found more accessories to match these napkins, I decided I'd try my hand at covering some tin cans with extra napkins. Want to see more trash to treasure projects? Click here!

Gather Supplies

Chalk Paint, paint brush, decorative paper napkin, mod podge, ruler, pen, scissors, and clean tin can.

Paint the cans

When I realized I wanted to cover several can, I decided to use Rust-oleum Chalk Paint spray to speed up the painting process. You just need to paint the exterior of the can with a fast coat of paint. If you want your interior painted, you may need two coats for the inside finish.

Measure and Cut Napkin

Because you need to cut the napkin to the height of your can and you need it to be even across, I use a ruler to mark a straight line. Then cut the napkin along the line.

Separate the layer's of the napkin

Most napkins are three ply. You will want to only apply the top layer.

Apply Mod Podge to the can

Once your paint is dry, apply a very thin layer of mod podge to the exterior of the can. Apply to all areas you want to adhere the napkin to.

Apply napkin to the can

Being careful to keep the napkin straight, gently press it around the tin can.

Apply top coat of mod podge

After the mod podge napkin is dry, then gently apply another thin coat of mod podge to the exterior of the napkin to seal. Note: you may see bubbles form. Don't panic, these will smooth out once the piece is dry. Just be careful to use a light coat and move on. Over rubbing or brushing, while applying this coat, can cause the napkin to rip .

Decorate your table

These were just to cute! So I decided to add glass hurricane chimney's and white candles to the tuna cans. I used a soup can to hold faux stems that mimic the flowers on the thrift store dishes.

This project was so quick and easy, I couldn't stop!. Here is my new brush holder. Here is another trash to treasure project! Click here.

Rachel The Ponds Farmhouse

• Ann Elizabeth

Any alternative to using napkins? I want to use something I already have.

• Rachel The Ponds Farmhouse

You can paint the cans, a light weight fabric will also work but you will need to use more mod Podge. I would soak the fabric in a slightly watered down mod Podge and then apply to the cans.

I hope this helps.

Rachel.

visit my other DIY projects

www.thepondsfarmhouse

or follow me on Instagram @rachel_thepondsfarmhouse