DIY No Sew Upholstered Chair Makeover

$10

I'm so excited to show you guys how to bring life back to an old, tired chair. We've had this chair for many years and if you have a teenager, you might recognize it. It's the thinking chair from Blue's Clues. My oldest son loved that show and I've hung on to this chair for sentimental reasons.

This chair definitely got used over the years. The seat cushion was completely flat and the armrests were worn, but other than that, this chair was in great shape.

I picked out some fabric and chunky chenille yarn for this makeover.

I started by placing a piece of fabric over a section of the chair to make sure the fabric fit. Then I used my hot glue gun and glued the fabric to the chair along the seams of the chair. I used the Gorilla Hot Glue Sticks because they are heavy duty, durable and super strong.

When a section was covered, I would trim the extra fabric and move on to another section.

The seat of this chair was completely flat. I pulled the seat fabric up and cut along the side. The foam that came with the chair was completely pressed down to the wood. I cut my foam to fit in the chair and placed it inside the couch cushion cover.

I ran out of the flower fabric, so I used some pink fabric for the arms of the chair. The padding on the arms were worn down, so I added foam before covering with new fabric.

With the chair covered in new fabric, it was time to add the chenille yarn. I glued the yarn to the edges of the chair. Make sure you press the yarn into the glue so it’s secure. The yarn pulls the look of the chair together and really takes it to another level.

I have used this same method on two other chairs in my home and they have held up great.

Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

• M

I have a chaise in my bedroom that I would love to cover, but felt a little intimidated. This project just may work. My question is: Did you sew a cover for the seat cushion or glue that together also. My thoughts were to sew the cushion cover and glue the rest.

• Elizabeth Pullan

Hot glue dries out and will let go. Not sure this will be a a solution, with people siding their butts in and out of a chair, fabric will be moving constantly, good luck though! If you don't want to Glue, I would use an industrial stapler, use a old sheet and make an pattern, like describe above, leave a seam allowance, sew it and then staple into place. Sew the cushion for sure, and if you have sewing skills, sewing is the way to go for a lasting project! You don't want to spend the time and money, just o have to redo it in a month again. Good luck and it is fairly easy! Cheers

• Brocho

Where did you get the foam from? And if anyone else has an answer, I’d appreciate it. Thank you

• Flipturn

Foam suitable for diy projects can also be purchased at custom upholstery shops, as they usually have retail sales at the entrance or in the front showroom.

Remember to keep in mind that it is the density of the foam, not only the thickness that is used in determining what is the best piece to buy for a chair seat.

• 516maria

How would you handle tufted buttons on the part of the chair where your back goes. I have an old settee that I absolutely love but I am so intimidated by the buttons. I’d had to lose them because it’s part of the charm.

• Deneen Giesen

I would think you could remove the buttons, recover, and then put them back on using a big needle and heavy thread. I saw my mom do that before.

• Anna Ibarra

Wow, I just got a great deal and a small chaise and I don't want to spend a fortune to redo it. Im so doing this. Love it so much. Great job.

• Anna Ibarra

This is adorable. Wish I had bought one back when my kids were little. What a cute chair this came out. 👌🏼 Reminds me of a McKensie-Childs. 😍👌🏼