DIY $3 Dollar Tree Pampas Grass

$3

Hey everyone! Looking for a fun craft project from items at home? I created this pampas grass from cotton twine and dowel rods! You could also use bamboo skewers and yarn if you don’t have those supplies on hand! I created all 6 for $3. Such a fun and easy project, I hope you enjoy. ☺️

Create A Pattern

First, we are going to create a pattern to make our “grass” or tassels. I used a piece of cardboard that was about 4in by 8in for this part.

To start, draw a diagonal line across the cardboard and cut the excess off. This will create a triangular shape we will use to create different sizes of tassels. ☺️

Make it Strong!

I used packing tape to wrap the cardboard. This made it a little more sturdy because we are going to be using it multiple times.

Making the Tassels or “Grass”

Next, you want to take your cotton twine or yarn and wrap it around the pattern about 10 to 15 times. I got my cotton twine from the Dollar Tree. You get 320ft for $1 and I used just two of these bundles to create all six pampas grass! Once you’ve wrapped your pattern, cut the string, loop it through and tie it off. I did double knot mine because I wanted it to hold.

Time to Cut!

Once you’ve tied a piece of string around your bundle and double knotted it, cut the bottom loops open. This will create your first tassel. ☺️ The reason we made the pattern is because we want to make three different sizes of tassels. Use the wider end to make 6 large ones, the middle to make 6 medium sized ones and the end to make 6 small ones.

The Grass

You should end up with 6 of each size that look similar to this. Don’t worry about being to exact, as you can see I wasn’t. 😂

Wrap The Rod

Next, we want to wrap our rod in twine. I used 3 thin dowel rods I had at home, but you could use the long bamboo skewers Dollar Tree is now carrying, or just something similar in size. The rods were originally about 4ft long, I just cut them in half. You can find them pretty much anywhere, I think I got these ones from Lowe’s for around 40 cents a piece. ☺️

I wrapped mine about half way down. I did use a little hot glue to keep it in place. ☺️

Glueing the Grass

Once you have your rods wrapped in twine, start gluing on the tassels. I started in the middle by hot glueing down the larger ones first, then the medium ones, working your way to the ends with the smallest ones. I did glue them down about an inch apart, flipped it over and did the same to the other side.

Almost there!

It should look pretty similar to this once you’ve glued all your tassels! I just pressed mine in the middle to make sure they were all secure! You’ll see next why. 😉

Time to Comb that Twine

So to get them big and fluffy, comb out the strings! I held on to the middle part and combed the strings out from there. You want to use a little pressure in the middle so you don’t pull the strings out. ☺️

After I had my strings combed out to where I liked them, I used a little hairspray to kept them in place. I just held them upside down and gave them a little spritz. Also, this helped to make them stand up when I flipped them back over and look more like real pampas grass!

Ta-Da Pampas Grass

And that’s it! Just do it all 6 more times! 😂 Once you’ve made one, I promise, it gets a lot faster! A fun little project using things around the house! I did fluff mine up a bit more before I took the photos, but I LOVE the way they came out. And for only $3, you can’t beat that! I hope you enjoyed this and create your own! Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram @justinwray for more weekly DIY. ☺️

If you would like to see a more in-depth tutorial on this project, check out my video on YouTube. ☺️

Love the end results. ❤️

• Sandy

Depending on the string you use, I can see wheat stalks and other faux plants. Great idea!

• Bonnie Bowness

Hi Justin,I just love your DIY pompas grass. I will definitely try these.I have always liked the look of them and am so happy now, i can make them.Great job Justin and thank you so much for sharing.Cheers Bonnie!!!