DIY Doves Bathroom Window Transformation

$42
1 Day

When we did our bathroom makeover I wanted something different for this window. It needed to give some privacy but also let air in during the summer.

The Before Pic

This shows that there was a real need for privacy in this bathroom.

Pick your screen design- this is Ginger Dove

This is an amazing product sold as an outdoor decorative screen panel but sometimes used by others (like me!) in other ways. The panel measures 32" wide by 4' high and obviously doesn't fit my window as is so will need to be cut down.

Make a simple frame--

Cut 4 pieces of pine wood to fit the inside dimensions of the window minus 1/8" so the frame can open and shut.

Run the wood through the router to create the same depth groove on all 4 pieces.

We wanted a rounded edge so he routed the edge but this is optional.

Verify the groove fits

As you can see the screen panel is a nice thickness at about 0.25".

It's waterproof, can be painted and resists warping too. I really love this product!

Pocket Holes and screws

Create pocket holes with a kreg jig then screw the frame together

Lay your frame onto the panel

Align it to your liking. I wanted to avoid cutting the birds off so choose where to place the frame accordingly.

Mark the 1st line

Pencil a line all the way around your frames inner edge.

This is the 1st line

Mark the 2nd line

Because the frame has an inner groove mark a 2nd line which will be your cut line. Your measurement will be the depth of the groove in your frame.

Now you have two lines

The outer line is your cut line.

Cut to size

Using a fine tooth blade on the jigsaw and set at a slower speed carefully cut around the outer line you drew. Go Slow, take your time.

Verify the fit

Take one end of the frame apart to verify the fit by sliding the panel into place.

Paint the frame

Remove the inner panel and paint the frame.

Assemble and apply optional putty

Once the paint is dry slide the inner panel into the frame. You can glue it if you want to then screw the pieces together. If you want to you can also putty the corner pieces then touch up with paint.

Hinges

Attach your hinges to the frame and window.

And it opens!

Here you can see we can open the privacy panel to open the window. The panel can then be shut and the breeze flows in. So nice!

The panel comes in white or black (or can be painted) and there are a variety of designs. You can find these panels on Amazon here and also Home Depot for about $35. The design is Ginger Dove by Acurio Latticeworks.

And done!

I'm loving the look and the birds are so cute in my bathroom which has other bird features.

Also for those asking about the towel storage and swinging trash bin on the right that project can be found HERE!

And the other wall in this bathroom shows the vanity which can be seen HERE!

• Mariela

How to organize a small pantry ?

• Lady Anne

Not to organize the entire pantry, but I use sturdy plastic magazine racks to hold my canned goods. I have four - beans, tomatoes, soups, and mixed veggies. I put a bungie cord a few inches up - just hook it into slots on the sides of the racks - because the cans would roll out if I stacked them too high. I'm limited by the width of the shelf, but I plan of getting more racks and stating another shelf. The racks I used were from Staples, and cost $10 each. I found the cheaper ones were too flimsy.

• Christina Bosco Hanawalt

LOVE IT!! What a great alternative.

• Nancy curtis

Do you have to put it in a frame? Could it just be adhered to the window? I need it for my front door that has three rectangle of glass down the middle. I need to cover them for privacy.

• Kelly-n-Tony

You can do whatever works for you. It has a nice thickness to the panel and will hold up without a frame.