Easy DIY Bedskirt for Adjustable Base Bed

$60

04/18/2020

We bought a new bed last Fall and decided to go with an adjustable base. While we love the bed and the options the adjustable base gives us, I have struggled with what to do for a bedskirt.

I looked and looked and looked some more at the wrap around bedskirts with the elastic but I couldn't find one made from a fabric that I loved. What's a girl to do?

Improvise of course!

First, let's take a look at the bed without a bedskirt...

Looks a bit sad.

Needs some sprucing up!

I chose tobacco cloth to make the bedskirt. I love the natural color and softness of the fabric. It looks beautiful when draped at weddings so I was hopeful it would drape nicely for my bedskirt.

The tobacco cloth was 10 yards long by 36 inches wide. I ordered two packages since I needed a 15 inch drop and 220 inches of finished length for the bedskirt.

To make sure the cloth was fluffy, I unfolded it completely and then refolded it in half to give myself 18 inches of drop. This gave me enough fabric to fasten it to the adjustable base and still get the length I wanted.

I worked my way along the adjustable base, making folds in the fabric and using T-pins to fasten it as I went.

I’d like to say there was some scientific method to the folds but I honestly didn’t have a plan. It just sort of evolved.

I used three fingers—my index, middle, and ring fingers—to make the folds and get them close to each being the same size.

I lucked out! Each package of tobacco cloth with the folds covered one half of the adjustable base! There was just enough to go one fold of material around the corners at the top of the bed. Phew!

Here’s the finished bedskirt!

It wasn’t difficult to do but did take some time, approximately 3 hours. That sounds like a long time but I wasn’t rushing by any means. It may not take anyone else that long.

I love how it turned out and it doesn’t interfere with the function of the adjustable base.

The pictures don’t capture just how lovely this fabric really is.

What do you think? Have you used tobacco cloth in your decorating?

Thanks for stopping by!

Laurie

• TheSeamstress

That's awesome. I have a storage bed from Ikea. The mattress sits on a platform that is hinged and lifts up for hidden storage inside the frame. This would solve the problem of a bedskirt that would not have to lay across the opening.

• Patti McConatha

Ok, this may sound like a silly question...but what is an adjustable base??

• Kathy Conley

I have a adjustable bed too. Could you post a picture of how it looks when the head is up? I curious as to how the fabric drapes. Thanks! I never heard of tobacco cloth either so it’s nice to know about it!

• Hi Kathy! My apologies for the delayed response! I snapped a couple of quick pics for you tonight. I typically don’t put the head of our bed up this high. Hopefully it shows what you’re looking for. Thanks for taking a look!