Asked on Apr 18, 2020

How do i refinish nightstands? ?

Simple Nature DecorKim  |Exquisitely UnremarkableTheHoneycombHome
+10

I have 2 nightstands that are made from what I call pressed wood, the kind that looks like sawdust glued together. They have what looks like bubbled up spots from maybe getting wet? Not sure was there when given to me. Also have a few chiped places on edges. Can I sand these to smooth and repaint them? If so how? What steps to do?

William

You would need to sand to smooth out the bumps. A palm sander would help. You can wrap sandpaper around a board and hand sand. Use 150 grit sand paper. Then prime with Kilz primer. Then you can paint with acrylic latex paint. Seal with three coats of a water based polyurethane

• Dee
    Dee

Make sure you sand them down even, so no lines show. You can then use a good stain blocking primer, lightly sand once again, then paint.

• Cindy
    Cindy

Hi Michell. Even pressed wood can be sanded. So either use a palm sander or sand by hand. Start with 80 grit sandpaper and then 220 grit and then sand with 400 grit for a nice smooth finish. Be sure to clean all sawdust off with a damp cloth. Let it dry completely before painting. I recommend using a foam brush or roller so that the end result will not have brush lines. Good luck Michell. Stay well and healthy.

• Mogie
    Mogie

We are having the same problem with the cabinet in our utility room. The bottom 2 inches have gotten wet when I mopped and over the years it started to sort of crumble in that area. I really don't know why I bought a press board piece to use in a area I knew I would be moping a lot but I did.

You need to be gentle when you are sanding. The press board can come apart like sawdust with too much pressure. It seems once this stuff gets wet it is absorbed like a straw sucking up liquid.

I would sand carefully, prime and paint. I would seal the top of your night stand so this doesn't happen again. I used some water based poly I got on amazon. This step seemed important so no more water problems and so far so good.

• Mogie
    Mogie

Good luck and let us know how this turns out.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Michell,

I would use a wood filler on the edges of your stands that have chips or use a hockey stick trim to cover around them. You could use beading/Trim to make panelled frame around the damaged area and treat that area differently from the rest eg: Decoupage using Mod Podge as a way to cover damage caused when trying to level area or a Ceramic Tile etc. Best wishes.

• TheHoneycombHome
    TheHoneycombHome

Here's one project that might give you some ideas: https://thehoneycombhome.com/easy-diy-card-catalog-ikea-hack/

• Sand down the affected areas. If there are still spots that appear damaged, you can use wood filler and then sand again. You can prime and paint after that. This is a very pretty pressed wood makeover that might help. https://www.hometalk.com/16242882/pressed-wood-fireplace-from-cheap-to-chic

• Simple Nature Decor
    Simple Nature Decor

I am, doing one now and

I am using a wagner spray gun, its amazing how fast it is do paint with , once the post is done ill send you it.

• Simple Nature Decor
    Simple Nature Decor

You can use wood filler, sand it and then use a primer to help with color and then paint over it with the color you want.