Asked on Apr 19, 2020

ROOF "GOOSENECK DRYER VENTS

Cynthia HJohnavallance82Mogie
+7

Should a ROOF GOOSENECK Dryer Vent have a damper/flapper or NOT? Issue is I live in southern FL and on our slate tile roof, we have a GOOSENECK Dryer Vent and apparently NO damper/flapper and some folks believe they SHOULD to keep out rodents and snakes. Jim

• Gk
    Gk

You should check with your local building code Jim. Doing so will give you the best answer for your area.

Betsy

Hi Jim: I would put one on. It will keep the critters from coming down the vent pipe and getting caught. So, in my opinion, I'd go the extra few bucks and be comforted in the knowledge that there are no snakes, squirrels, birds, and other unwanted guests visiting you. Good luck with your decision.

William

Since it's vertical vent a damper would get stuck open or closed from lint build up. Also the force of the air may not be strong enough to open it. They do or should have a screen at the exit point to prevent rodents, snakes, or birds from getting in. If there is no screen just screw one on.

Notice the screen

• Cindy
    Cindy

Hi Jim. I think you should attach the flapper. Leaving it open invites trouble. If any animals end up in the vent, you will have to pay someone to get it out. Good luck Jim. Stay well and healthy.

• Mogie
    Mogie

A flapper will help keep rats and other critters that often enter homes and business’s through vents located on the roof out of your home. These entry points need to be sealed in order to prevent critters from entering the structure through roof vents.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Jim,

I would imagine any form of grill would do the trick! Best wishes

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Hi! There are screen inserts for vents to keep things out. I have seen them on Amazon, and at Home Depot and Lowe's. Stay safe!

• Cynthia H
      Cynthia H

That makes sense. We actually switched out ours to a different type that stays closed except when the heat us blowing out. I guess it would depend how hard it is to access it. I'll attach a link for the type we switched to after I look it up. Stay safe!