Quarantined Laundry Room Makeover

$190

Living in quarantine has got all of us organizing, cleaning, and getting around to dreaded projects faster than we would like. See how I spent my time updating my laundry room into a room I am spending a lot of time in on purpose!

Before

If you have kids, you probably spend a lot of time in your laundry room. I know I do! The laundry room is my third most used room in my house next to my kitchen and bedroom. I do laundry on a daily basis and I dreaded being in this room. It was boring, constantly random toys were being dumped in here, and the decor was pitiful.

Before

Being an interior designer and staging model homes for over a decade, I feel all rooms need to show some personality and be a space that brings emotion when you go into that space.

I started on my laundry room as a test of my skills. I wanted to do peel and stick wallpaper in the entryway and feeling I needed to practice before I tried it in a part of the house that everyone that enters sees, I decided to try it out on the upstairs laundry room.

Applying

I don't know what I was thinking to start in the laundry room. I really tested my skills! I had to work around 2 doors, two shelves, cabinetry, a utility sink, and two front load units!

I got this peel and stick wallpaper from Lowe's. It is from the Property Brother's line Scott Living. Luckily, it was discounted to $29 / roll compared to $45 / roll so I had quite the savings on 6 rolls. Still way more expensive than paint but paint cannot give you this effect.

Tools you need are a straight edge, box cutter, and a plastic smoother. I wish I could have gotten photos of installing it but I do not have one of those instagram photographer husbands and I was installing this by myself on a ladder so trying to get staged photos of myself was out of the question!

The back wall

I started on the back wall and worked my way around the room. I love the colors in it and coordinates perfectly with the cabinetry. I started at the top corner of the room and you remove the backing with one hand, while using your smoother to smooth out the airbubbles as you go down. There are times where you have to peel up what you stuck down and reapply to get it smooth but this wallpaper is very easy to work with and allowed for errors like that.

opposite wall

This side of the room was by far the trickiest, having to work around the shelf, the sink, and outlets and switches. I did all the hanging myself and worked on it for two hours each day for about 6 days while the twins were in preschool. This brand of peel and stick is great because it is thick, it doesn't fold up on itself and doesn't stick to itself and doesn't leave creases like other brands I have tried. It also doesn't air bubble like other brands I have tried.

Final decor

I decided to update the art by painting those big green frames I had by painting them white and using free laundry art I found on pintrest. I reused my "pail" I was using as a garbage can in the guest room and put my thrift store flowers inside for a pop of color. I used glass containers that were sitting empty in my pantry to fill with dryer sheets and detergent. I always shop my house and reuse what I already have first before buying anything. In this case, I only purchased the wallpaper and reused everything else.

Finished...almost

Here is my finished product...almost! I still have a roll to hang behind the washer and dryer but I am not strong enough to pull them out to get back there to finish. I would love to get a new washer and dryer set so when these die I will for sure be able to get back there to finish the job. Until then, I LOVE my laundry room. The only thing I am missing is a sound system. Dancing while doing laundry just makes it 100x better! I just smile when I come into to do laundry. Now I don't mind being in this room. I hope this post inspires you to update a room in your house that you dread going into. Be creative and make it space you love. If you have to be in there anyway, might as well enjoy your view!

• Diane Schule

What is the blue stuff in the glass jar? Looks great with wallpaper. Whole room looks great!

• Within the Home

thank you! The blue stuff are those freshening crystals you add to your laundry to help them smell fresh for days.

• Krafty Kathy

Love all these cute laundry rooms but when I look at all the stuff we store in ours I doubt ours could look so good and be functional. Where are the lightbulbs, extra paper goods, picnic baskets, coolers and all the darn dirty clothes lol?

• Within the Home

Good question! I luckily have a large linen closet in my laundry room and 6 bottom cupboards and drawers that I hide everything. trust me, the closet and drawers are not "cute." I am lucky to have a lot of storage in my house.