Turn a Cheap Cube Storage Shelf Into a Piece of Furniture!

$30

With this easy project you can make a cheap, boring cube storage shelf look like a modern piece of furniture.

Measure and prepare wood

First I purchased a piece of 3/4 inch poplar plywood and used the table saw to cut it down to match the exact dimensions of the top of the cabinet. Then I used 1.5"x2" pieces of pine leftover from a previous project for the four legs. I cut them down to a height of 3" each using the miter saw. You can cut pine 2"x4"s down to the size you need for the legs. Sand the edges of the piece of poplar that will be on the top of the shelf so it does not have any sharp edges.

Stain Wood

I stained the wood pieces using a dark walnut stain. I prefer using an old dish rag or t-shirt to wipe the stain over the wood. Then I allowed the wood to dry overnight.

Trace the wood legs

I traced the wood legs in each of the four corners. Then I drew a dot where I planned to pre-drill the holes for the screws.

Drill the holes

I held the leg against the shelf and drilled a wood screw from the inside of the bottom of the cabinet into the wood leg.

Use wood glue

I used a generous amount of wood glue all over the top of the shelf. Then I placed the wood piece on top and ensured it was placed perfectly and square to match up with the edges of the shelf.

Use clamps

I used clamps to hold the wood in place while the wood glue dried. I also put in a couple of pin nails around the edges for extra security but that step is not necessary.

Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!