Geometric Accent Wall

$50

Give your wall some dramatic character with this easy to-do accent wall!

Paint the wall

I started by painting the wall and the baseboard with the color intended for the whole wall.

Mark the studs

Using a stud finder, we marked where all the studs in the wall were using blue painter's tape.

Cut your wood

We used 1"x2" furring strips. We measured the length of the wall where we wanted to place the first piece of wood. I recommend doing your longest lines first. Cut both ends of the wood at a 45 degree angle for the first board. Attach to the wall using a brad nailer/nail gun. Try to nail the wood in line with where you marked the studs in the wall. This will ensure the boards are nice and secure to the wall.

Measure, cut, nail

Continue to measure where you want to place the next board. Determine which end(s) will need a 45 degree cut. There is no science behind where you put your boards. It is totally up to you and what you think will look nice.

Use a carpenter's triangle

It is very important that you use a carpenter's triangle when you are lining up the boards to attach them to the wall.

Ensure a right angle

If you use the triangle each time, you will ensure that there is a true right angle where each board meets another board and you should only have to do 45 degree angle or perfectly straight cuts.

Paint boards

Once all your boards are installed, paint all the boards to match your wall. I used a brush to paint mine and did two coats.

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th

• Brynn Mannino
    Brynn Mannino

Hi - what did you use to cut the boards to the 45 degree angle? Do you think HD or Leow's would do this for me so they're not jagged?

• Hi, we used a Miter Saw which turns to an exact 45 degree angle. I don't believe that Home Depot has a Miter Saw for their employees to use. You could always use a regular hand saw since the boards are not very thick.

• Vicki
    Vicki

Did you paint over the nails or use a wood filler to cover?

• Jonathan
    Jonathan

What size nails did you use with the nail gun?

• Susan
    Susan

Thanks so much for posting this! I was determined to do something like this to the wall in our den, but I was a little intimidated as to where to start. This was so crystal clear that I believe I can do it! Yours looks absolutely stunning! I love it!

• Nana
    Nana

I think you came up with a very unique pattern that possibly no one else has. I guess that’s what makes it so unique to your home. 👍🏻