Geometric Accent Wall

$50

Give your wall some dramatic character with this easy to-do accent wall!

Paint the wall

I started by painting the wall and the baseboard with the color intended for the whole wall.

Mark the studs

Using a stud finder, we marked where all the studs in the wall were using blue painter's tape.

Cut your wood

We used 1"x2" furring strips. We measured the length of the wall where we wanted to place the first piece of wood. I recommend doing your longest lines first. Cut both ends of the wood at a 45 degree angle for the first board. Attach to the wall using a brad nailer/nail gun. Try to nail the wood in line with where you marked the studs in the wall. This will ensure the boards are nice and secure to the wall.

Measure, cut, nail

Continue to measure where you want to place the next board. Determine which end(s) will need a 45 degree cut. There is no science behind where you put your boards. It is totally up to you and what you think will look nice.

Use a carpenter's triangle

It is very important that you use a carpenter's triangle when you are lining up the boards to attach them to the wall.

Ensure a right angle

If you use the triangle each time, you will ensure that there is a true right angle where each board meets another board and you should only have to do 45 degree angle or perfectly straight cuts.

Paint boards

Once all your boards are installed, paint all the boards to match your wall. I used a brush to paint mine and did two coats.

• Jennifer

Could this be done without a brad nailer/gun?

• Kevin

Hi,

how was the texture of the wood after it was painted. Did you have to patch any imperfections and knots etc before painting?

thanks

• Ashley | DIY & Home Design

I did not do anything to the wood before or after painting it. There are some knots and imperfections in the wood that are noticeable close up. Because our paint color is so dark, it doesn’t look too bad and I plan to leave it as is. But I would recommend sanding the wood first if you plan to use any paint color lighter than mine. Hope that helps!

• Vivi

Hi, will this worked on a textured wall?

• Ashley | DIY & Home Design

Yes it should. Our wall has some texture to it but nothing crazy. You could always put some very thin sheets of wood or mdf on the wall first to make it smooth.

• Laura

Love it.

• Susan

Thanks so much for posting this! I was determined to do something like this to the wall in our den, but I was a little intimidated as to where to start. This was so crystal clear that I believe I can do it! Yours looks absolutely stunning! I love it!