Scrap Wood Desk

$70
1 Day
Advanced

Since this quarantine is preventing me from freely roaming the hardware stores, I decided to take a bunch of scarp wood that I found and create a desk! Keep scrolling to see how I transformed these scrap chevron wood pieces into my new work station!

These are the chevron scrap wood pieces that I started with. They are each separate but I lined them up to start to form the desk.

I separated the leftover chevron pieces and put them next to the line of chevron pieces to make the top of the desk wider.

I took a miter saw to cut the ends to make them flush.

I secured all the chevron pieces together by taking 1x2s to create a brace on the underneath. I secured them with a nail gun and wood glue.

Framing

I framed out the desk top in 1x2s.

Fill in the holes and gaps

I took plastic wood filler and filled in all the cracks, gaps, and nail holes. This plastic wood filler is so easy to use, sand, and stain. It looks like a mess but the sander will sand off all of the excess.

This part took the longest but so worth it! I used an electric sander and slowly progressed my sand paper from heavy to fine grit sandpaper.

Finished sanding.

I mixed a gray stain and a dark walnut stain together to create this color.

The finished product!

I bought legs off of amazon and attached them to create my new desk!

• Ellen

What a beautiful result from scraps of wood! I'd like to know if you put anything on the top like polycrylic for protection? Sorry about the spelling!

• Barbara Anne Ashton

Wow so beautiful ,your colour is nice one of a kind ,

• Dee

What a great job you did on the desk. I have never had any luck staining the plastic wood filler. What is your secret?