Easy Board & Batten

$60

Board and Batten is such an easy way to add an elevated look to any room. Its my favorite type of wall treatment!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Board and batten is essentially just nailing boards to the wall! I decided to skip the board to save time and money and just do the battens right over my textured wall.

Remove baseboards

If your baseboard isn't the same width as your boards, I suggest removing. I did so by scoring the caulk and prying them off.

Replace baseboard

I used a 1x4 board to replace my baseboard and nailed it back on

Paint your wall

You can also paint at the end but I felt it was easier to roll the bottom half of the wall instead of having to go around my boards once they were up.

Add top board

I nailed a primed 1x4 about 40 inches up the wall

Add vertical pieces

Using 1x3s and spacing equal distance apart to create my boxes

IMPORTANT!

Use shims to make sure your vertical boards are flush with your top board and baseboard. You will caulk this to hide it.

Optional

Add a 1x2 to the top board for a high-end/more finished look

Finishing work

Dont forget to fill your nail holes and caulk your seams!

One last coat of paint...

15 Perfectly Round Tables
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
15 Memorial Day Crafts

• Mro164
    Mro164

I love it- had no idea it was so easy to do. I’ve been thinking of hiring a local handyman but now I think I’ll do it! How far apart are the vertical boards? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I’m shopping for a nail gun now!

• Pamela
      Pamela

Do I really need a nail gun? Couldn't i do it with a hammer and finishing nails?

• Cheryl
    Cheryl

How do you do this in a corner?

• Kim
    Kim

How textured are your walls? We have textured walls and I’ve been told by several people I need to cover with MDF board before starting my project.

• Sarah Phillips
    Sarah Phillips

Well done! Also kudos on the great pictures and detailed explanations of all your steps. I love your pics of you pointing at specific things lol. Cute and informative!

• Karen
    Karen

You did really good!! Looks nice!!