Sow a Salad Garden in a Window Box!

$10

Growing your own food does not have to take up a lot of space. Grow this simple little salad garden in a window box or small planter. You can place it on a patio, deck rail or apartment balcony.

Note: I am demonstrating this in early Spring while the weather is still quite cool. See additional note if you do this when the weather is warmer.

Start with a small window box Planter

I used a self watering window box planter I bought at Wal-Mart but I have plants on my website for building some inexpensive ones also.

I have had mine 7 years and they are still holding up great.

Easy DIY fence board planters

Choose seeds that are fast and easy

For this container I chose French Breakfast Radish, Italian Scallions, and Black Seeded Simpson lettuce. A lettuce that is crisp and delicious.

Fill the container

Use a good quality potting mix and fill the window box container. I prefer organic or making my own DIY potting soil.

Create a drill.

Using your finger or a small tool, like this Sharpie, create a drill, or small ditch in the soil. Not too deep, these are all seeds that don't like to be planted deep at all.

Plant seeds

Create a drill for each seed type. One for the lettuce, one for the onions and one for the radishes.

Plant your seeds according to the directions on the package. I went a little heavier with the radishes as they were older seeds and I was not sure about the germination.

Press into soil.

Using a seed press or flat bottomed item (like this votive) press the seeds firmly into the soil. You want good contact between the seeds and the soil.

Don't press too hard, firm but not compressing.

Create a Label for the Container

Create a label to place into your container. If you are only going to grow one container that may not be necessary but if you have more you will definitely want to mark what is in each one.

Gently water.

Place in a Sunny spot

Place your window box or planter in a sunny spot. Don't worry if you get some chilly weather. These plants are cold weather hardy and will sprout as soon as it warms up even a little.

If you are planting something like this after it has gotten to be very warm weather keep it in the shade until the seeds germinate.

You can put it in a spot that gets morning sun once they do but not in a hot spot.

Watch for sprouts!
Visit my website for more Garden goodies.

I post new tips, tricks and garden tours some come on over and join the fun!

FlowerPatchFarmhouse.com

Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Flower Patch Farmhouse

• Julie
    Julie

Did you put all three in the same pot?

• SusieHmMkr
    SusieHmMkr

How many heads of lettuce do you need to be able to make 2 salads a day?

• Pamela
      Pamela

For an individual or more? That is hard to say as I harvest leaves from a plant several times before it is done producing. I don’t harvest one head at a time. I had 6 plants and harvested enough lettuce for two plus salads a day for a month. I need to reseed now.

• Julie
    Julie

I would love to see a picture of the veggies growing. Ya know spacing and placement.

• SusieHmMkr
    SusieHmMkr

*Correction...2 large salads a day*