Upcycle Your Dining Room Table Leaf

$20

When I purchased the dining room table nearly 20 years ago I could only afford the 4 chairs that came with it. The table has 2 leaves and can seat ten people. To this day I have only used one of the leaves. So what about the other leaf that has been in the closet all this time? Are you a leaf hoarder like me?

Inspect the leaf to see if it is suitable for this project.

Use a drill or screwdriver to remove the wooden brackets, hardware and screws underneath the leaf. Use a small hammer to gently tap the 2 wooden brackets that anchor the trim to the leaf. I only left the screws that secured the trim to the top of the leaf. 

Again, do not remove the screws that secure the trim to the leaf. This is what it looks like when you have removed all of the hardware.

Remove the male bolts from one side of the leaf. You can use wire cutters or pliers to pull the bolts out of the leaf.

The male bolt has been removed from this side of the leaf. You will need one of the bolts to assist you with tapping the metal ring further into the holes on the other side of the leaf.

To avoid having a sharp metal ring sticking out on the other side I used the male bolt taken from the opposite side of the leaf to hammer the metal ring into the wood away from the edge. That way I could add wood filler to the hole and completely cover up the metal ring inside the hole.

Just a few gentle taps will do.

This is how it should look. No sharp metal edges.

Fill all of the holes with wood filler. Let it dry. Sand all of the holes on the sides and underneath the leaf.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to spray paint the leaf or chalk paint it so I lightly sanded the top as well.  If I had decided to just chalk paint in the beginning I would not have sanded it. I added a picture so you could see how it looked. Again, sanding is optional. 

The next step was easy. Paint it! I wanted to get rid of some old spray paint so I used it as a primer.   That step is optional. 

I used some old chalk paint and I finished with White Pearl Metallic Paint from Rustoleum.  It is the same finish that I used on my dining room chairs. I love this paint.

Stage it!  Use the riser on the table, kitchen island and buffet.  Oh, before I forget! I placed 4 felt surface protectors underneath the sides.  

WOW! Look at all of that space underneath the riser. I have 4 salad plates, napkins, flatware and 4 dinner plates. And it all looks so classy and clean.  I could have easily added 6 to 8 plates underneath. This is the perfect time to get this project done.  I can only imagine the fun some of you will have with this project.

Thanks for stopping by. Here is the the video tutorial.

Cathryn Holt

• 1cs1267

What did you use for the "risers"? Your project looks really wonderful!

• Vicki

I have the same problem...3 leafs but have never used more than 2. Going to do the same. I did something like this on my kitchen bar with my leftover counter top and always got compliments. Never thought to do this with a dining table leaf.

• Sande

Brilliant idea👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

• Sea Trace Creations

Yes, we need a support group....leaf hoarders! 😂 I intend to repurpose mine as well, yours is brilliant and beautiful. Why did you remove the brackets? I would think such a heavy piece would need those additional supports on those tiny legs especially if you add heavy items on top...no?

• MJ

These work great on a computer desk. We have several used in our small home. Ours made from scratch. Your idea so much easier and has more of a decorative touch. Great idea. I will now be searching for some to copy in our favorite resale shops.

• Susan Hojdik
    Just now

This is Great. I have my leaves in the closet. Now I know what to do with them . Thanks. 🙂