Upgrade Your Old Coffee Table

$50

We had this old coffee table that was a little tired and outdated but the perfect size for the space. So instead of purchasing a new one for several hundred dollars I decided to refinish it and add a little razzle dazzle to it.

Clean and sand

Before

I first wiped off the table then started sanding with an orbit sander. I used 120 220 320 grit.

Once the top was sanded i decided on a design and went for it.

Paint

I used black paint for the legs and part of my design. I wanted to go with triangles and also expose some of the wood.

Create the design

I used frogtape to create my lines/triangles. This part took a while, so buckle up and pack your patience for this trip.

I also used some gold paint to give it a pop.

Once I finished my design I thought the bare wood was too light for my purposes so I stained the remaining exposed wood by wiping on one light coat of stain with a cloth. Once that was dry the next day. I applied 3 coats of polyurethane clear coat.

DONE

Finished table
In its new home

if you like this transformation check out my Instagram @andreapalmai where you can find a lot more.

• Barbara Reeves Brown

Give me your suggestions what to do with this coffee table and matching end tables. I really don’t like the mirrored bottoms.

• Denise

You can spray paint a FROST on the mirror. It will take away the reflection and you will just have a frosted mirror. It may scratch if you tend to put things on it.

• Rory McBean

I love the Art Decorating look. You have a lot of creativity and vision. Now you have me thinking about what to do with my brass and glass coffee table. (I inherited this piece from my parents. My mom lives with me and is cool with me refinishing the table).

• Rory McBean

I meant Art Deco. I hate auto correct when it's auto wrong!

• Laura

LOOKS REALLY NICE.