Color Block Wall—Quick and Simple Way to Add a Big Punch!

$10

Color blocking may be a newer trend but I hope it’s here to stay! It’s such a great way to add character to a space for the cost of some paint. If you don’t want to paint an entire wall, it’s a perfect way to add a splash of color. It’s perfect in a small space OR to break up a large space!!

Tape off your design

• For my specific area, I chose to use the sloped ceiling as a guideline.
  • This made a trapezoid type design, but the options are endless. I’ve seen circles, semi circles, rectangles, etc.
  • I used painter’s tape and measured and marked 2 1/2 inches from each edge and put the tape all around.

Paint!

• With the painter’s tape, I didn’t even use a brush. A mini roller did the trick!
  • I painted two coats.
  • Let it dry to the touch before you take the tape off.

Admire your work and add style!

• I added a little shelf using brackets and a piece of 2 x 6 pine cut to size.

Style it!

• Some hand drawn artwork and sponge art work in Dollar Tree and Goodwill frames
  • a few faux plants
  • a couple of vintage items
  • a candle

Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard

• Katherine Somma

I love this,its like your own little corner.Will definitely do SOON.Great Job.

• Mari

Right!!! It was so nice just to roll and be done!!! So quick and easy!! Thanks!!!

• Lauren.

Mari, you didn't mention the name of the paint color. It's a lovely green that I really enjoyed looking at. Any particular brand or color name??

• Love this!! Accent walls make such a statement, it's one of my favorite things to do. You did a fantastic job with the colors you choose combining with the natural wood tones. Great Job!!

Not sure if anyone checked out the paint can at the bottom of the post that Hometalk added but when I clicked on it, the color looks really similar to the one that you used:

American Pine by Kilz Tribute

• Yvette Scheiman

Am I seeing this correctly? Did you paint over wallpaper? It came out beautiful, but did you do any special prepping to successfully paint over wallpaper?

• Mari

Not wallpaper! It was a painted design!!

• Paula S.

Ok, so being a female licensed painting contractor, let me let you in on a little secret regarding blue tape and clean lines with no bleeding! Once you place your blue tape down, apply caulk (any cheap painters caulk tube will do) over the blue tape and onto the area that will be painted. This will ensure that no paint will bleed under the blue tape like it sometimes does. Then paint as usual and then pull the blue tape off just like your normally would do and presto - super clean line. I know you can buy Frog Tape (green) but it is so much more expensive than blue tape.

Paula Stone

• Mary McDonald

A lot of work. I use a straight edge, tuck it into the separation line, paint and done. Once all the corners and edges are done then I do the middle. Using a nice angled brush and a steady hand will work but it takes some practice.

• Paula S.

No Mary, it doesn't. Just apply the caulk, then use your finger to go over the wall and blue tape. The reason is to make sure that paint doesnt penetrate under the blue tape. You don't need a lot of caulk. I know it seems wierd. Try it on another surface like on a peice of cardboard and see how it works before you do it to a wall. You'll be surprised.