Spring Inspired Wood Tote

$20

I love solid wood furniture pieces and home decor is no exception. When I found this new solid wood tote in raw wood I had a great plan in mind.. lets see how I gave it one of a kind finish.

Pop over to my blog for more free home decor and furniture tutorials.

Prep your wood tote

I scored this sweet solid wood tote at the thrift store that was created for some woodworkers conference. They had burned an emblem on each side that required wood filler and sanding to get rid of.

It was sanded, cleaned and milk paint made up ready to paint. Homestead House milk paint in garden seed; a bright yellow color was mixed up 1:1 ratio with water and the inside of the tote was painted.

Apply over a stencil

Mix Fusion fresco powder with the mixed Homestead House milk paint in garden seed color to make a paste, Using an off set pallet knife apply over the stencil laid in place.

Remove the stencil to reveal

Lift the stencil straight up to reveal your raised design. Let dry well and do this to all 4 sides of the tote.

Paint over raised stencil

Using Fusion mineral paint in little tea post, brush over the entire tote exterior. When dry, lightly sand to reveal the yellow in the embossed stencil pattern.

Dark wax to bring out details

Fusion Mineral Paint's ageing wax was brushed over the raised areas and edges to give an aged feel to the tote and highlight the details.

Complete

Here it is all done, isn't it sweet? If your interested you It is available on my  Etsy store

Inside close up

Here is a close up of the garden seed milk painted interior

15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Creative Moments

• Em

Am I correct that the reason why the paint looks raised it because you made the powder thick by just adding enough paint to keep it thick enough to spread?

• Creative Moments

Thanks Patty for answering, yes Em, the product used WITH the mixed up milk paint gives it texture to create the raised stencil.. this particular product is from Fusion called fresco powder but many companies carry a texture powder